Tyres fot a Boardman Performance Race

mh892
mh892 Posts: 5
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi All,
Just joined the forum and relatively new to biking. I have just brought my first road bike and am keeping my Boardman Performance Race Hybrid as a winter bike on a friends advice. Does anyone know if I will be able to fit narrower tyres than the standard 700x32 that the bike came with. If I am able to fit narrower tyres will there be any marked improvements on my riding times? I have heard a mix of differing views and am a bit bamboozled by it. I only ride this bike on the roads.
Many thanks

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    You should be fine with 28c or even 25c tyres, probably a good choice would be something like Conti GP4 Seasons in 28c if its for winter/road use.

What tyres do you have on it at the moment?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mh892
    mh892 Posts: 5
    Vittoria Randonneur 700 x 32.

Do you think there would be a marked improvement with narrower tyres?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've got those tyres on my CX bike, previously had Gatorskin 25c fitted on otherwise MTB rims.

Those tyres are quite hard and inflexible, although pretty much bullet proof. I think you'd notice the difference moving to lighter tyres.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava