Easy to seat tyres

Johnny_Cage
Johnny_Cage Posts: 57
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
From reading around, it seems not all tyres are created equally.

Some are very tough to even get on the rim, and some are easy to get on without even using levers.

Are there any specific tyres that are easy to fit and seat?

Does easy fitting = easy seating?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Never had any issue with any Schwalbe MTB tyre, although their marathon Plus road tyres are meant to be a screaming beatch to fit.

Biggest issue is getting it over the rim, once over no decent tyre will have an issue seating on the bead.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I have a Gator Skin slick that takes me about 5 mins to fit - the bead appears to be about a quarter of the way round the rim when you start. You just need to go back to basics and keep on working it round and into the well. Like Simon says, good tyres always seat the bead fine, just make sure when you're taking a tyre off you pop the bead out right the way round - some rims seem to hold the bean tighter than others.
  • clydefrog
    clydefrog Posts: 162
    I just got a maxxis wired tyre and it's really easy to get on and off the rim, takes hardly any effort which is just what I wanted after how hard it was with my last one. It takes one lever under the edge of the tyre to pull it over the edge of the rim and then just slide another one sideways in the gap and it comes off. To put it back on it's also really quick and doesn't take much force at all.
  • I don't do anything special like working it into the well, or popping beads - don't even know what these are actually - I just put the tyre on and pump.
  • clydefrog wrote:
    I just got a maxxis wired tyre and it's really easy to get on and off the rim, takes hardly any effort which is just what I wanted after how hard it was with my last one. It takes one lever under the edge of the tyre to pull it over the edge of the rim and then just slide another one sideways in the gap and it comes off. To put it back on it's also really quick and doesn't take much force at all.

What specific Maxxis did you get?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's not just the tyre. It's the tyre/rim combination.
    If you get a difficult rim and difficult tyre then it's a real fight.
  • I figured that would be true.

Since I can't do anything about the rims (well, I could but...) I may try Maxxis High Roller tyres, they seem to have a good reputation.

Also, I have ordered some of this stuff. Got lots of 4 and 5 star reviews on a German site.

600x600-SCHWALBE-Liquide-de-Montage-Pneu-EASY-FIT.jpg
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Could also use soapy water

But it's definitely a rim + tyre combo more than the tyre itself
  • clydefrog
    clydefrog Posts: 162
    clydefrog wrote:

What specific Maxxis did you get?

Crossmark 2.1 for my rear wheel, now need to decide on which other Maxxis will go on the front and replace the other mountain king.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I always found Maxxis tyres very easy to live with - I tend to use Advantages (good all rounders) but High Rollers too if you want all out grip (but are less bothered about speed).
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,469
    I find most Schwalbe and Maxxis are easy to use. The worst I've found with my rims are Continental Rubber Queens or Mountain Kings. Even though they are high volume they are a bi atch to mount and remove. Never needed levers to get a tyre on before, only off. That said my Conti slicks are easy so it's not a brand thing.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Rubber Queens go on my Mavic rims really easily by hand. My highrollers are a bitch to get on the same rim.
    It's about the tyre & rim combination, not just the tyre.
  • So does how hard a tyre is to get on the rim (needing levers or not) correlate with how easy it is to actually seat?

I have Mavic rims too, my Schwalbe's just would not seat...

These High Rollers can't be any worse, but it doesn't look good :shock:

I have that Easy Fit stuff now anyway, maybe that will help...
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    ZTR Flow rim, Bonty XR4 tyre - goes on and off without levers, can inflate tubeless with track pump

(the same) ZTR Flow rim, Conti Rubber Queen - need levers to get it on and off, won't inflate tubeless even with a compressor

...go figure
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'm trying to figure. How do you pump it up then?
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    ha! who knows! New tyres. Have put a tube in, will leave over night - maybe that will form it into shape to seat it better or something? Wish I'd paid the extra and got the Bonty SE4's now...
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8