Garmin 800 or Mio Cyclo 505?

uddy_puffer
uddy_puffer Posts: 20
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Looking to get myself a GPS device and have kinda narrowed it down to either a Garmin 800 or a Mio Cyclo 505. Pros and cons with both, inevitably. I can get the 800 bundled with sensors and the 505 bundled with Euro maps and sensors for fairly similar prices. Taking out stuff that they're both good or bad at I'm left with this wee list.

Garmin
Pros:
extremely popular suggesting it's pretty good. Hopefully a lot of the issues have been ironed out by now
Secure mounting system with options
Can use free maps
Cons:
Poor screen resolution
A few years on the market now so perhaps considered as a bit outdated since there are 2 upgraded models

Mio
Pros:
Excellent screen
Loads of cool features
Could be considered to be cheaper, considering the features
Cons:
Poor mounting system according to comments seen online
Potential issue with screen in the rain, though I've seen conflicting comments about this
Some comments suggest the bundled sensors are not too accurate
It's not Garmin

Any help in the decision making process would be welcomed. My initial reasons for buying one are mainly based around having a good mapping system and being able to plot routes to follow. However, given both are bundled with the sensors I'd certainly look to make use of them to maybe enhance my cycling. Up to now it's mainly just been about getting out there and enjoying myself while I sweat my calories away.

Comments

• scopes15
    scopes15 Posts: 84
    I've just recently bought a Cyclo 505 and its a decent piece of kit. Bear in mind that I have never had a Garmin so I can't compare however I have done a ride in the rain and didn't have any issues and it also came with an out-front mount which seems fairly sturdy. My HR monitor is giving me back figures that are consistent with the figures that I was getting when using a BT Wahoo monitor connected to my iPhone.

I did have to connect it to my PC and download the latest update and maps which took a couple hours and added some of the new features.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Edge 800, European maps, HR & Cadence = £220
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-800 ... 5360400727

Mio 505, UK maps, HR & Cadence £330
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mio-cyclo-505-g ... -uk-map-1/
  • scopes15
    Or the Mio cyclo 505 from here for £250

http://www.box.co.uk/Mio_Cyclo_505HC_UK ... tAodAUAAAA
  • Yes, the Garmin for £220 on Wiggle and the Mio for £250 on Box were the 2 options I was looking at.

Scopes15, it's encouraging to hear you've not had any issues with your Mio. I suppose it's always got to be kept in mind that you generally see negative stuff online as people are more inclined to write about problems. Have you tried the 'Surprise Me' option yet to do a route?
  • Just had a read through the Mio UK Facebook page and there seem to be a lot of issues with the latest update. The Mio representative does look to be fairly open and honest about the problems but seeing them quote stuff like "wait for the update in a few weeks" to get some sorted is a concern. However, from what I've read, Garmin are no different.

https://www.facebook.com/miotechnologyuk
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Wiggle have put the price of the 800 back up to £298; I don't know why they knocked £70 off it for a few hours (yesterday afternoon/this morning).... But I made full advantage :D
  • iga
    iga Posts: 155
    I've had a Mio 3025 HC for a couple of months now, got it from box. Bigger over all size than the 500 series and doesn't have WiFi or bluetooth but runs the same firmware etc. A well built and sturdy device that feels like it will stand the test of time, no problem with the mio out front mount or a slightly longer SRAM one. Clear, readable screen even at speed and the interface is pretty intuitive with sensible customisation and data options. I've been getting 8-9 hours out of the battery with the screen always on, both sensors and recording the ride. The USB port on the back makes connecting an external battery pack difficult, even with a slim, right angled USB cable. No problems with water proofing, locking onto satellites or picking up sensors. It failed to record the first two thirds of my last ride, which was a pain and has crashed once mid-ride (re-booted in few hundred meters and picked up where it left off).

The mio website is, however, the most appalling piece of junk I've had the misfortune to encounter. It only supports IE (and I use support in the vaguest sense of the word). Getting it to recognise that my device is connected is very hit and miss, your login times out without warning, plotting a route is a one shot job (you can't save you're route and then edit it, so you can't save it until it's completed, and if your login has timed out whilst you've been plotting the route, it won't let you save it at all). Fortunately, connecting the device to the PC has been trouble free and cutting and pasting gpx files onto the device from other sites has been fine. Overall I think the hardware and firmware is pretty good but creating/sharing/analysing on the mio site sucks.
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • That's an excellent post iga, very helpful.

If Wiggle have put the price back up on the Garmin I guess it comes down to whether or not it's worth putting faith in Mio to fix the issues after their recent upgrade.
  • geoffh73
    geoffh73 Posts: 85
    I have a Mio 505 and prior to the latest up date i thought it was a good piece of kit. Paired it with garmin sensors and had no problem. Maps are easy to use.
    However since the update at the end of may it has become very erratic.
    Take yesterday for example, i did 472 miles at an average of 570mph. Not bad for a 14 mile trip.
    Mio are aware of this but no news on a fix date yet.
    I uses the WiFi to upload and mioshare is set up to auto sync with strava so i don't have to use mioshare that often, i will agree that it is poor though

Geoff
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    * E.g. resistive touchscreen the size of a postage stamp with anaemic contrast and about 5 % the pixel-count of an iPhone;
    Which is good for battery life, being able to be used with gloves on and in all weathers, and being able to see what is on the screen in bright light with no backlight draining the battery.
  • scopes15
    Uddy, I used the "Surprise Me" feature last night for the 1st time and it was pretty good. Done a 25 mile loop from my house which took me on a few very quiet roads I didn't know existed.

It seemed to pick pretty much the hilliest 25 mile route around which is what I was looking for (it gives you 3 choices of routes and shows the profiles so you can decide how hilly you want it to be). Some of the road where pretty out the way though and full of pot holes but I suppose it isn't to know that. As a whole I enjoyed going a different route I didn't know.

I haven't really used Mio Share a great deal so I can't comment on it. I've set mine up to sync with Strava wirelessly.
  • Nice one scopes. I think I'm going to press the button on the Mio and hope that they can address the issues they're experiencing with the recent update.
  • Downward
    Downward Posts: 179
    One lesson learned after owning the Mio is make a copy of the Folders Mio Systems and Mio Data.

Then when they do the update and there are issues you can just copy over the previous version.

I have done this with the V4 software where there is an issue with connecting the cadence sensor. It was the same with the update in July 2013. The October 2013 update was fine and caused no problems but backing up the Mio is advisable.

Regarding Mio-share, Yes the planning is annoying but it's the same as mapmyride in the dodgy routes. Check twice before navigating is my advice. Regarding connecting to mio share to upload rides, Never had an issue in a years usage. Plus it uploads your rides straight into Strava and it's there to view in about a minute.

I came from the Garmin Edge 305 and the Mio is much better, Software is on a par too but I use Strava and Veloviewer anyway so mioshare is just a gateway to this.
  • Hi Downward, that's great info and is really helpful. Can I clarify something with you though? When you say you advise backing up before the updates does that mean you can revert the software back to the previous version if it turns out to be problematic. Great if that's a possibility.
    However, reading through the Mio Facebook page the Mio Rep seems to need the individuals to contact Mio to get talked through resetting their devices but that doesn't seem to involve reverting back to the previous software. Reading between the lines on there it appears that once you've updated the software it can't be undone.
    Any advice from an actual owner like yourself would be great.
    Lastly, I see someone has posted a link to this very thread on the Mio Facebook page too, in order for Mio to keep an eye on. This has all gone kinda Gonzo now!
  • I bought the mio 505 HC, I got wiggle to price match it versus box.co.uk. Overall happy with the product, I've updated to the latest version and its working fine for me.As other have said the web site interface is simply rubbish, hopefully they will listen to the customer and improve it!
  • kenny, since the Box website is offering the unit with UK maps I'm assuming Wiggle would only price match on that basis? However, I've seen some comments elsewhere where people who've bought from Box actually got sent a unit with the Euro maps. It also comes with the free up front mount.
  • scopes15
    Uddy,

I seem to have Europe maps on mine although it did say UK on the box when I activated it.
  • Uddy, correct. Mine came with UK maps and the free mount, they will price match on a like for like only.I went through quidco and got cashback and paid with a cashnback credit card.

I gotta say credits due to the Mio support. My sensor broke last night on the way home, I took a picture and contacted them via FB this morning, a few details later and a new sensor is on its way. For me, first class customer service!
  • Downward
    Downward Posts: 179
    Hi Downward, that's great info and is really helpful. Can I clarify something with you though? When you say you advise backing up before the updates does that mean you can revert the software back to the previous version if it turns out to be problematic. Great if that's a possibility.
    However, reading through the Mio Facebook page the Mio Rep seems to need the individuals to contact Mio to get talked through resetting their devices but that doesn't seem to involve reverting back to the previous software. Reading between the lines on there it appears that once you've updated the software it can't be undone.
    Any advice from an actual owner like yourself would be great.
    Lastly, I see someone has posted a link to this very thread on the Mio Facebook page too, in order for Mio to keep an eye on. This has all gone kinda Gonzo now!

Yes the mio device shows up as a drive on computers so just copy the folder to your PC. Also this is how you can copy tracks and routes onto the device which weren't made in mio share ie map my ride ride with GPS, bike hike,strava in fact anything.

I did this before the v4 software update in case of any issues.

When the v4 software wouldn't connect my cadence I plugged in the mio and copied the folder from laptop to mio device.

Back to the last software release and fully working. The v4 software includes moving the time to the top left of screen. I prefer it in the middle so probably won't bother updating to v4 again anyway.
  • Thank you for that. Absolutely brilliant to know. In fact, this thread has convinced me to get the Mio so thanks to everyone for all your helpful advice. Much appreciated.
  • meggiedude
    meggiedude Posts: 257
    Also have the same requirement Garmin 800 (as I can't afford the 810) or the Mio Range
    I was also looking at the 305HC as it looks like it has similar spec to the 505 (but looks a tad more chunky??).
    Any comments on this.

Also how are each of these units for uploading free maps - ie not from the Garmin or Mio site respectively?

BTW - a cunning ploy to justify the purchase with her indoors was to say it had dual usage as a car satnav as well. Any comments on this appreciated. I know these units don't have speakers but are they OK for use as a car satnav at a push?. Saves having to fight my phones menus prior to a trip and hope it stays locked to GPS before the battery runs out.
    Can I upgrade???
  • you can drag and drop a .gpx route into the mio from external sources easily, the mio site is cr*p.

You could get a bluetooth speaker for the car and get the audio that way. You'll get voice audio instead of the beep it gives on the bike (unless you use headphones or a speaker)
  • meggiedude
    you can drag and drop a .gpx route into the mio from external sources easily, the mio site is cr*p.

You could get a bluetooth speaker for the car and get the audio that way. You'll get voice audio instead of the beep it gives on the bike (unless you use headphones or a speaker)

Thanks.
    Re the .gpx - so that applies to all mentioned models?? 305, 505, 800 & 810?

For the bluetooth option I am assuming this only applies to the more expensive Garmin 810 or Mio 505, as the Garmin 800 and Mio 305 are older non-BT models IIRC?
    Can I upgrade???
  • iga
    meggiedude wrote:
    you can drag and drop a .gpx route into the mio from external sources easily, the mio site is cr*p.

Thanks.
    Re the .gpx - so that applies to all mentioned models?? 305, 505, 800 & 810?

For the bluetooth option I am assuming this only applies to the more expensive Garmin 810 or Mio 505, as the Garmin 800 and Mio 305 are older non-BT models IIRC?

Drag and drop applies to 305, 505, think it's the same for Garmins. 505 has WiFi and Bluetooth, 305 doesn't (but I don't think Bluetooth is enabled yet on the 505).

Regarding my earlier post my 305HC is now with Mio for repair. It started giving application errors when trying to access the track menu. Got a message from Mio saying they couldn't find a fault, so either the Royal Mail fixed it en route or the firmware is looking a bit shaky. Could be related to the bugs the last update introduced. Unlike Downward I didn't make a copy of the earlier firmware but a 'fix' is due in the next few weeks apparently. I still like the device and I'm willing to give it another chance, customer service has been good (phone and email).
    FCN 7
  • meggiedude
    iga wrote:
    Drag and drop applies to 305, 505, think it's the same for Garmins. 505 has WiFi and Bluetooth, 305 doesn't (but I don't think Bluetooth is enabled yet on the 505).

Regarding my earlier post my 305HC is now with Mio for repair. It started giving application errors when trying to access the track menu. Got a message from Mio saying they couldn't find a fault, so either the Royal Mail fixed it en route or the firmware is looking a bit shaky. Could be related to the bugs the last update introduced. Unlike Downward I didn't make a copy of the earlier firmware but a 'fix' is due in the next few weeks apparently. I still like the device and I'm willing to give it another chance, customer service has been good (phone and email).
    Thanks,
    WRT size the 305 is a little chunky isn't it - say compared to the 505 and certainly compared to the Garmins.
    How do you find it - you have this fitted to road or off-road bike?
    Can I upgrade???
  • iga
    meggiedude wrote:
    Thanks,
    WRT size the 305 is a little chunky isn't it - say compared to the 505 and certainly compared to the Garmins.
    How do you find it - you have this fitted to road or off-road bike?

Mine is on a road bike with Mio's outfront mount (never tried the stem mount). It is chunky, the outfront mount puts the bottom of the unit over the clamp of the stem. I moved mine off centre so I can plug in a USB cable from an external battery pack. If I could have afforded it I'd have got the 505 which looks a similar size to the Garmins.
    FCN 7
  • I have mine fitted to a road bike as well with the outfront mount. (505hc)

iga what external battery pack did you use? Did you need a right angled usb lead? I'd like to do the same for the 80+ mile runs :-)

I've been one of the lucky one re the updates and don't seem to experiencing any issues. My sensor broke on night and mio immediately sent out a free replacement, I think they're aftercare has been excellent!
  • faafgc61
    faafgc61 Posts: 1
    Hi, I hope someone can help ????

Purchased a Mio 505 today and I am having trouble pairing my Garmin speed and cadence sensors to it. If anyone has the same problem/how I can resolve my problem please let me know..........

Tim
  • horizon
    horizon Posts: 91
    Have a look on cyclogps.com - loads of info about Mio on there.