Tubeless tires???

ywang
ywang Posts: 8
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
So, the tires on my 2008 Yukon FX finally went out (both of them, on the same ride!) and as it turns out they are tubeless. How much should I expect to pay to get them replaced, or could I learn to do it myself without too much trouble? Sorry if this a newbie question; I just always used clinchers on my road bike.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What's a 'road bike'?

Tubeless tyres are clinchers, however I understand your concern, lots of 'how do I go tubeless' threads on here, you need to by a tubeless capable tyre, also what standard of tubeless do you have as if it's UST you ideally need a UST tyre, or you can just fit tubes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Do you mean it's a tubeless compatible tyre (with a tube in), or are they being run tubeless?
  • Hi, Can anyone help? I am new to UST/tubeless ready tyres (whatever they are). I have ordered a bike from Germany that comes with the Mavic WTS fin 650B set up and has a roam XL tyre on the rear. These tyres have had a poor write up for mud use and my riding is all year round. Can I change the rear tyre for something other than a Roam XL as my riding is often in mud during winter and then put the Roam XL back on for summer? I have no experience with UST set ups. Is it a simple case of swapping tyres and using an inner tube? I really have no idea.
  • The Rookie
    UST and Tubeless are different, which do you have?

If you have UST you'll need a UST tyre, if it's tubeless you need a tubeless capable tyre (almost any modern folding bead).

Is your current set up tubeless or tubeless ready?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    Mmmm, that's slightly misleading.

UST is a patented system for tubeless tyres and rims, requiring no sealant or anything to work.

Tubeless ready just means a normal tyre designed to be run without a tube, by way of some sealant or other.

You can use normal tyres on UST rims (tubeless or not), you can use UST tyres on normal rims (tubeless or not), they're not wholly different things, and UST is tubeless, it's not one or t'other.

"Tubeless ready" isn't a trademark, merely a description. Tubeless ready tyres are (potentially at least) tubeless.
  • HI, So that means if I have UST rims (Mavic), I can remove the factory supplied tyre and replace it with either another UST, a new tubeless (using a sealant) or a normal tyre with an inner tube? Pretty flexible situation.
  • The Rookie
    Yes, but bear in mind nearly all modern and decent tyres are perfectly capable of running tubeless whether it says it or not.
  • njee20
    Again, I'd be wary of that. These days virtually all manufacturers whose tyres worked well tubeless in "normal" guise (eg Schwalbe Evos) have now started calling them "Tubeless Ready" and charging £5 more for them. These days I'd not have much faith in a tyre that's not declared to be tubeless ready (Panaracer I'm looking at you...).
  • Thank you. I'll stick with either UST or a normal tyre and an inner tube - I can at least repair a puncture on the run.
  • njee20
    Whilst you can put inner tubes in UST tyres they weigh a lot more, so it's pretty pointless.

You can repair tubeless punctures if you get one (which should be much less frequently), you just put a tube in.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    The Rookie wrote:
    UST and Tubeless are different, which do you have?

If you have UST you'll need a UST tyre, if it's tubeless you need a tubeless capable tyre (almost any modern folding bead).

oh Christ, I've got UST rims but using tubeless capable tyres :oops:
  • njee20
    Which was why I posted. As you're finding that's a perfectly acceptable combination, and will save a chunk of weight over UST tyres which way the same as a small planet.