dainese trail skins knee guard

gazcarsf1
gazcarsf1 Posts: 130
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys

Anyone using the new knee guards from dainese, had a look at them on Sunday at the downhill world championships @ Fort William, and they looked good, very light and flexi. Looked really well built as well.
http://www.pinkbike.com/u/mattwragg/blog/dainese-trail-skins-kneepads-review.html
Cube reaction gtc race 2011 26er, Canyon spectral al 8.0 2014, cube reaction gtc race 2015 29er
How much for that!!!!!

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I'm trying to get some but can't find any in stock in my size :(
  • Hi,

I got a pair of these recently and find them really comfortable to wear, especially in terms of ventilation.
    Have only had them on twice so far (about 3hrs each time) and have, luckily, not carried out any impact tests to-date. ;)
  • poah
    what size you get? I've been struggling with knee pad sizes and can't seem to get any that fit.
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    I am after some of these too. But as POAH says they are impossible to get hold of, no one has any stock :-(
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • poah
    CRC have them in L and XL - ordered L
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Dainese have quite a bit of MTB kit. Ask your nearest Dainese Pro Shop (motorbikes) they will be able to help
  • gazcarsf1
    POAH wrote:
    CRC have them in L and XL - ordered L

When u get them can u feed back on the sizing for them and the size round ur knees!!!! :shock:
    Cube reaction gtc race 2011 26er, Canyon spectral al 8.0 2014, cube reaction gtc race 2015 29er
    How much for that!!!!!
  • mudsucker
    I asked CRC on Tuesday and was told they had no sizes in stock.

Thanks Blitz. I will try the motorbike shop route :-)

2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • poah
    mudsucker wrote:
    I asked CRC on Tuesday and was told they had no sizes in stock.

Thanks Blitz. I will try the motorbike shop route :-)

I went to buy large yesterday but between me seeing the page and logging in they had sold out :lol: checked today and they had 5+ in stock so I assume they got a delivery
  • Ordered some from CRC on Monday they should be arriving Friday hopefully.
  • gazcarsf1
    Hopeful that the order I have placed @ winstanleysbikes for a medium pair will be completed. Currently out of stock but saying that they will be dispatched within 7 days from the manufacturers, £40 and postage free.

Here's hoping
    How much for that!!!!!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I tried a pair of XL and they fitted my chubby I mean rippling muscley knees fine. They had to go back because the stitching on the top velcro strap itched like crazy and left a red welt after 15 mins. Very airy but definitely not for smacking tree roots just a scrape preventer.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • I have a pair and they are excellent for general trail riding and yes they are ok for smacking tree roots as they saved my right knee last weekend. They are definitely not as protective as my Fox Launch Pro but they are 10 times more comfortable, I even forgot to take them off before getting into the car to go home the first time i wore them.
    The vent holes in the main pads are also great and stop my knees from overheating, I got mine from Slam69 although they now appear to by out of stock of medium and small.
    Transition Trans AM 27.5
    Niner ROS9
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Anyone know how these compare to the G-form stuff? I'm looking at elbow pads. Pros and cons of the two brands?
  • poah
    G-form isn't CE approved the trail skins are
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Any idea of sizing for the arm pads? Nothing in the website.
  • poah
    nowt, I just went with what I am for other pads.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    POAH wrote:

Does this make much real world difference? Have g form gone for this rating? I'm guessing neither will protect against the big impacts.

Genuine query - not quite sure what the CE test offers in terms of mtb
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    CE approval is a minimum legal requirement. The G shock will have had to pass an equivalent test, possibly Snell.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • gazcarsf1
    Email from winstanleysbikes, mediums will be sent on or before 7th July direct from dainese!!! :cry:
    How much for that!!!!!
  • poah
    chrisw333 wrote:
    POAH wrote:

Does this make much real world difference? Have g form gone for this rating? I'm guessing neither will protect against the big impacts.

Genuine query - not quite sure what the CE test offers in terms of mtb

it basically means that the pad can absorb a certain amount of energy

EN1621-1 assesses armour designed to protect the shoulder, elbow and forearm, hip, tail-bone, knee and lower leg regions. The test apparatus consists of a mass of 5 kg with a 40 mm x 30 mm striking face, dropped onto the sample mounted on top of a 50 mm radius hemispherical dome. The anvil is further mounted onto a load cell, allowing a measurement to be made of the force transmitted through the protector. The kinetic energy of the falling mass at impact is required to be 50J.

A protector subjected to this test method is deemed to conform to this standard if the average transmitted force of nine tests is less than 35 kN, with no single test result exceeding 50 kN
  • poah
    Gazcarsf1 wrote:
    Email from winstanleysbikes, mediums will be sent on or before 7th July direct from dainese!!! :cry:

have you tried the large size? how are you for other make's fitment
  • gazcarsf1
    POAH wrote:
    Gazcarsf1 wrote:

have you tried the large size? how are you for other make's fitment

Had found a size guide for them, and the large was to big, so went wae the med, usually a med in everything else anyway!!
    How much for that!!!!!
  • mudsucker
    Thanks POAH. Turns out your legs are about the same as mine so I've ordered some large ones and I'll see how I get on! :-)

2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I wouldn't take much notice of the CE approval.
    I design CE approved products and the whole procedure is a joke. There are so many loopholes it's ridiculous. You could literally get anything CE approved.
  • poah
    I wouldn't take much notice of the CE approval.
    I design CE approved products and the whole procedure is a joke. There are so many loopholes it's ridiculous. You could literally get anything CE approved.

Gform can't lol
  • rockmonkeysc
    Can't or haven't bothered?
  • poah
    Enduro mag did the test and they don't pass but wither gform themselves have tried or not I don't know. at least with the CN standard you know they are of a certain level
  • rockmonkeysc
    No, you know the samples they sent for testing were to a certain standard. There's no requirement to retest if manufacturing processes are changed.
    I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the Dainese pads, I'm sure they are good quality but the approval is a bit of a joke and fairly meaningless.