Any experience with Sram Apex?

cyuan16
cyuan16 Posts: 13
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm looking at a bike with 105 and sram apex, and wanted to know if apex is similar to 105 quality wise. I always thought rival was compared to 105, but I am looking at two tarmacs and one has 105 and the other has apex, and they are the same price, but the apex model is 2012 and the 105 is 2013. Was apex more expensive in 2012 because it was new then?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The choice really should come down to which type of lever operation you prefer, as the two are quite different in function.
  • ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    Rival is the same weight as Ultegra. Force same weight as Dura Ace.
  • CXrider
    CXrider Posts: 141
    Hi

I have a Boardman Team CX with SRAM Apex and a Boardman Team Race with 105 - both a year old.

I flit between the two mainly down to conditions on the road.

I have to think hard to come with which one is the best, really hard.

The first thing to say is that they are both good systems so either will do.

SRAM Apex
    What I like is that the whole up/down changing on the front or rear mech is done with one lever. Push it to the side to the first cilck for up, all the way over for down.

It looks better.

I believe it is lighter overall - but not sure on that.

Overall, it is more intuitive to use. This is a fact as I never have a problem using the Apex bike, but often forget how to change the bloody gears on the 105 when I next use it! :oops: :roll: :D

----
    I don't really like the way you have to move the whole brake to the side to go down and the separate lever for up. It's just not as simple and the brake throw is actually fairly long.

The hoods are slightly more comfy to ride on.

However, and this is a biggie.. I find that the 105 actually changes gear better on the front and back and that reason alone should probably make it the best, and the winner in this face-off.

So, for me, it comes down to ease of use against quality of change.
    If I was racing then it has to be Shimano 105 for the quicker, more reliable change. If you are just having nice long rides to get fit, a bit of sportive action and general use then SRAM Apex as its just nicer to use.
    Apparently, SHimano systems are relatively easier to maintain as well.
    Pedal to Paris blog at http://RideToParis.co.uk