New Bike upgrades for Specialized Rockhopper 29er

ps4customgamer
ps4customgamer Posts: 34
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I just got a new mountain bike and Im really happy with it, however Im more than aware that some of the parts are low end shimano even though the bike is a 9 speed groupset. Specifically the shifting seems a little slow and clunky even though everything is lubed up and tuned correctly. I have some newish deore components lay around but I dont know if its worth upgrading.
Also I'm considering changing the front rotor from 180mm to 203mm and swapping the tektro HD-M330 to tektro draco HD-m350.

My bike is a Specialized Rockhopper 29er 2014
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec052284

Are these upgrades worth my time and money or is my money better spent elsewhere on the bike? Any suggestions?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope, not worth the bother, and a 203 rotor would be silly - doubt the fork is even rated for it. And the fork is the weakest link. Damped at least, but as basic as you get.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The fork is actually fine for the trails I go on and although i would have liked the option of 203mm brake disk im happy with what i have.
    My main concern is the gear shifting as it feels clunky, how much better would a deore or XT groupset be?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nothing wrong with Alivio when it's working properly, so either something is not working right, or it's not set up right. Impossible to tell which from what you say, but a good basic reset up will help narrow it down.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Surely there must be some advantage to a higher grade components on this bike...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Mostly lighter weight, less friction in the jockey wheels on better mechs, slightly more precise shifting at the lever because bearings have replaced bushes, or better bushes used.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Best upgrades are forks (expensive), decent tyres (can be expensive - no idea what you have), contact points (saddle and grips - although you might be happy with yours), then probably shifters, which make more difference than mechs.
    Decent brakes (not big rotors) are a worthwhile upgrade (but only if they are replacing something rubbish.

Bottom line if most of it needs replacing, you bought the wrong bike.

As The Rookie said, get the setup right first - easiest and cheapest, and Alivio stuff is ok.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    First upgrade I made to my "26" Rockhopper was the fork, I went for a set of Reba solo airs from Merlin cycles, about £300 and money well spent! Then went for Ergo grips, a new saddle Madison Flux, and spd pedddles & shoes. Tyres, Maxis Highrollers work well, as do Ardents and Minion's but depends what riding your doing. I dont find the gears a problem tbh and the brakes do the job :D

Hope that helps.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Get a set of lighter tyres maybe and go tubeless. Consider new wheels, the stock ones are quite heavy. Fork is very flexy and although the frame is able to take a tapered fork, there is a reducer to allow the plain steerer used on the stock xc28.