Thoughts on Cervelo ?

hutch-judge
hutch-judge Posts: 23
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi, got a couple of grand to spend, just wondering what people's thoughts are on this ?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/271519193081?nav=SEARCH

Looking for something to do fast road rides on, under 100 miles and a bit of CAT4 racing.

Obviously it's a few years old but I'm assuming it will still cut it against more modern stuff.
Thanks

Comments

• Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    2nd hand Cervelo for £2k+. Not for me. Much better ways to spend your money. That bike looks cack on my opinion and I quite like Cervelo bikes.
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    I'm sure you can get a brand new R3 with 105 running gear for £2k. Much better option.
  • Obviously it's a few years old but I'm assuming it will still cut it against more modern stuff.
    Thanks

Of course it will, can't see it being worth more that £1500 even if you stripped it for parts.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    He's having a laugh with that price.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • I wouldn't take a chance on Cervelos of that period, given their well known issues with cracking. Get a new R3 or S3 with Ultegra or 105 instead.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    How much?!? :shock:

Seller is taking the pi55! Reckon that's worth 1200 tops. Even then I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    thoughts? yeah don't get it, it will crack on yer ..
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    People tend to massively overvalue their bikes on ebay.
  • Ha ha cheers guys, I'll give it a miss then.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If its cat 4 racing - don't buy anything that you cant afford to replace if you crash it. Definitely no need to spend 2 grand.
  • You can get good used Cannondale CAAD 10 or Supersix for less than £1000 easy enough then spend a few £££ on some good wheels, perfect for CAT 4 racing IMHO
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Don't bother. looks vastly overpriced.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Cervelo bikes have a bit of a reputation for weakness around the bottom bracket area which can lead to cracking in the frame - that happened to a friend of mine a year or so ago. I like the idea of second hand bikes but would want expert survey with Cervelo to establish confidence; and even then I'm not so sure.

Peter
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,096
    I know all of these negative.............. still want one though
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I've got the same frame and it's not cracked but I know there's been a lot of trouble with Cervelos but I thought it was the later ones than this. Ugo has strong opinions about Cervelos.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    northpole wrote:
    Cervelo bikes have a bit of a reputation for weakness around the bottom bracket area which can lead to cracking in the frame - that happened to a friend of mine a year or so ago. I like the idea of second hand bikes but would want expert survey with Cervelo to establish confidence; and even then I'm not so sure.

Peter

My mate's R3 cracked around the BB..it was a later one..was game over...he's now on an S-Works-SL4.

2nd hand CF Cervelo's with no warranty?...hmmm you pays your money.

How high is that seatpost in the picture...crazy
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • skeff10
    skeff10 Posts: 93
    Cervelos ride great, but not worth the risk imo
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    northpole wrote:
    Cervelo bikes have a bit of a reputation for weakness around the bottom bracket area which can lead to cracking in the frame

Peter

Mostly on the R Series !!
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • matthew h wrote:

So why are you asking opinion then? If you know all the negatives re Cervelo, but "still want one", then I'd suggest you steer clear of most bike forums?

Just "buy one"?
  • matthew h wrote:

So why are you asking opinion then? If you know all the negatives re Cervelo, but "still want one", then I'd suggest you steer clear of most bike forums?

Just "buy one"?
    He's not the OP.
  • gloomyandy
    gloomyandy Posts: 520
    Well I love my R5! Having said that given
    a) The past history of problems with cracked frames etc.
    b) The pretty good history of Cervelo handling these issues via the warranty (which I think only applies to the original owner).
    then I would be very reluctant to buy one second hand.