What inners and value length

IceDog77
IceDog77 Posts: 43
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi there

I have just bought some new 38mm carbon clinchers and am looking for some decent 700x23mm inners go on them.

I have a road bike (Trek Domane 4.3), but mainly race sprint and standard distance tris on it. I am going to run some new Schwalbe Lugano tyres I have on the new wheels.

Can anyone recommend some decent inners they use for this kind of racing please?

Also, what length of presta value to I need on the inners to clear the 38mm rim?
Trek Domane 4.3 2014
Whyte 529 2013

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    For racing I'd use latex tubes to lower the Crr. On 38mm rims you can get away with 48mm valve stems (barely) but I'd recommend going with 60mm for less hassle.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Grill wrote:
    For racing I'd use latex tubes to lower the Crr. On 38mm rims you can get away with 48mm valve stems (barely) but I'd recommend going with 60mm for less hassle.

My thoughts exactly. Vredstein latex aren't cheap at £12 each, but I like mine. They come in 60mm valve length, too.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Hutchinson Airlight 60mm are perfect on my 41mm Assault's (butyl).
    Cheers, Stu
  • IceDog77
    Thanks guys. If I went for some latex inners in the race wheels, would they stand up to a longer Sportive type ride ok, if I decided to leave my race wheels on the bike for a longer ride instead of using my heavier training wheels?
    Trek Domane 4.3 2014
    Whyte 529 2013
  • DiscoBoy
    Of course they would. Latex inner tubes are the best.
  • IceDog77
    And how puncture resistant are they compared to normal inners? do you get more pinched flats?
    Trek Domane 4.3 2014
    Whyte 529 2013
  • DiscoBoy
    IceDog77 wrote:
    And how puncture resistant are they compared to normal inners? do you get more pinched flats?

You get a lot fewer pinch flats :)

The only downsides are having to be careful when fitting them, and having to pump them up every day.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    If something sharp gets through the tyre's protection, the type of material the tube is made from is irrelevant.

I have 60mm tubes (Supersonics) on my 50mm rims. They work but only just. Really I would add at least 25mm to the rim depth
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro