Lightweight mountain bikes?

manoharalewis
manoharalewis Posts: 2
edited June 2014 in MTB general
Need a bike that can handle being on or off road. Obviously all bikes can do that, but I'd like one that's easy to do both versus too fragile for rough terrain/too bulky for the road. Also want something with a little speed, though anything is faster than walking. Originally thought a hybrid would be fine, just switch the tires when needed, but upon doing a little more reading it seems that no one really likes hybrids. Too upright? More people say to get a MTB with slicks, but I may need to carry the bike and MTBs can be quite heavy.jw8chwq

Was wondering if anyone could name some lightweight, slim [but durable] framed mountain bikes...as well as different sorts of tires to use. Also something beginner-friendly, and not too hard to do repairs/modifications to.

As for other information you may need:
- I have a very small frame [5'5, 105 lbs.]
- Commute will usually be 5 miles off-road or 3 miles on-road
- Tight budget, so something less than $500 would be best
- In the future the bike will probably be less off-road

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Basically you want the moon on a stick there.

Best bet would be a rigid singlespeed if you want to keep the weight down, but that introduces a whole load of other compromises and there aren't many off the shelf for that budget.

No idea what's available in the US (assuming that's where you're based going by the $ budget), over here I'd suggest looking at a second hand On One frame or similar.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd certainly be looking at an MTB with rigid forks, you could call this a Hybrid, hybrid is actually meaningless as a definition as it covers such a massively wide range of bikes.

My commuter is a Hybrid but with rigid forks and skinny tyres it weighs just 9.5Kg and I can easily average 20mph on road, my MTB (link in sig) is a little heavier as it has suspension forks, but with skinny tyres would be almost as fast on road.

For your money though you aren't going to get a very light bike as the market dictates what bikes people THINK they want at that price point, that is unless you get a used bike!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    MTB with rigid forks, or a cyclocross bike.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Cyclocross - I have 2x CX bikes and 2x 29ers - In dry conditions I've ridden my local 10 mile Enduro loop 10 minutes quicker on my CX bike that I can on my MTB
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • njee20
    You'll seriously struggle to get a decent 'cross bike for $500 though.
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    http://konaworld.com/splice-r.cfm

Never seen it but wider tires might fit, a bit over budget but they have the dew that is $499 with v brakes.

Any bike at this price compromises something but there are options out there.
    FCN 12
  • njee20
    neiltb wrote:
    http://konaworld.com/splice-r.cfm

Never seen it but wider tires might fit, a bit over budget but they have the dew that is $499 with v brakes.

Any bike at this price compromises something but there are options out there.

That will be anything but light. Every manufacturer has a bike of that ilk in their range, depends where you want to compromise.
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    so by your first response my mentioned fully rigid v braked dew would probably fit the bill then?
    FCN 12
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I built a charge duster for < £500 - new frame and ebay for the rest of it - it is a good light bike and certainly strong enough but getting into bike building territory might not interest you. The rigid fork idea is good and a 1x8 or9 or 10 is good too.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    You want this then

pfullsize_2515_1377345883.jpg
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Does it come with sandals and a clip on beard?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Buy a second hand road bike and forget off roading or buy a second hand mountain bike and a pair of slicks - forget all that tosh about must be light to carry it - if you shop around the second hand (hardtail) will be about 25 lbs and hikeable enough.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Soggz
    Soggz Posts: 221
    Need a bike that can handle being on or off road. Obviously all bikes can do that, but I'd like one that's easy to do both versus too fragile for rough terrain/too bulky for the road. Also want something with a little speed, though anything is faster than walking. Originally thought a hybrid would be fine, just switch the tires when needed, but upon doing a little more reading it seems that no one really likes hybrids. Too upright? More people say to get a MTB with slicks, but I may need to carry the bike and MTBs can be quite heavy.jw8chwq

Was wondering if anyone could name some lightweight, slim [but durable] framed mountain bikes...as well as different sorts of tires to use. Also something beginner-friendly, and not too hard to do repairs/modifications to.

As for other information you may need:
    - I have a very small frame [5'5, 105 lbs.]
    - Commute will usually be 5 miles off-road or 3 miles on-road
    - Tight budget, so something less than $500 would be best
    - In the future the bike will probably be less off-road
    AirRaidWardenBike1_zps228e7503.jpg...If it was good enough for your Grandad...
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Light - Strong - Cheap

You can only ever have two of the above in one bike :D
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Light - Strong - Cheap

You can only ever have two of the above in one bike :D

^ Bingo.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • njee20
    And actually in the context of complete bikes I think light & cheap is a very hard combination to achieve.