Allez Sport headset bearings

IanRCarter
IanRCarter Posts: 217
edited June 2014 in Workshop
I had a creaking sound when turning even the slightest bit and after inspecting the headset bearings, it turned out one of them (the bottom I think) needed replacing. I cleaned it out and loaded it with grease until I got new bearings and reinstalled it fine.

I bought a pair of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cane ... -prod11266 which I had come to the conclusion were the right bearings for the bike (Specialized Allez Sport 2013). However, I've just tried fitting them today and they don't fit as snugly into the headtube as the olds ones did. Comparing them side by side, the tapered part of the bearing is deeper on the old ones than these new Cane Creek ones. I carried on thinking that it was just a small difference but when it was all back on there is a small gap at both the bottom and top of the headtube and the bearings are visible through the gap.

Have I bought the wrong bearings or should it be like this? Would buying a Cane Creek headset to replace the standard headset solve the problem with the gap? And if not, which bearings are suitable for the bike?

Also, while I have a thread going: I accidentally sheared the head off the centring screw on the Sora brake block. I've taken the one out of the other brake block to have a look at it and it has a 3mm head with 10mm thread length and a domed end. However, I'm struggling to find one online, my searches return grub screws which don't have a wider head than the thread (would these suffice) or screws with flat ends.

Comments