Wheels for a Mega AM

trigger118
trigger118 Posts: 191
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

I'm after a set of wheels for my 2013 Nukeproof Mega AM build that I'm doing. I'm happy to spend a fair bit of money to get something decent as I am really taking my time with this build.

I need 26" wheels with a 15mm front axle and 142x12mm rear and I'm building this up to be more at the burly end of the scale than a light whippet so strength is preferable to weight. Keen to try tubeless too but it's not a deal breaker if its not there.

I've been looking at the Hope pro 2 evo hubs with mavic EN521 rims on CRC but they dont come the axle sizes that I need (the rear doesnt anyway).

If I'm honest, I know that this a bit petty but I really want to have a loud freehub on there too (hence the hope pro 2's)

Quite a specific list I know but does anyone know anything that might suit me?

Cheers
2010 Norco Shore 2
2007 Commencal MaxMax
2013 Nukeproof Mega AM

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Mavic EX721 would be my choice. Reasonable weight and strong as feck.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Mavic EX721 would be my choice. Reasonable weight and strong as feck.

Seconded and try Merlin.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    At the event I did last weekend it seemed like about 50% of the rims I saw were ZTR Flow EX. Based on that and based on the way I've been smashing my Flow's (old ones) down mountains this season and end of last I'd go for them.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    Most of the totalled rims I have seen at races in the last couple years have been Flow EX. They're stiff enough but use quite a soft alloy which dents easily. One puncture in on a rocky trail can easily kill them.
    EX721's are by far the most popular DH rim except on really gnarly tracks, then EX729's are the rim of choice.
  • trigger118
    Are EX721s light enough to be considered an AM/Enduro rim or are they more like a DH rim? How far off are the 521's in terms of strength?
    Must say I looked at the Stans stuff for the tubeless option but there was more axle size issues.
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • Barrelmaker
    Barrelmaker Posts: 188
    With hope hubs don't worry too much about the axle spacing, hope have adapters for all common axles. I think it's about 12 quid for the 142x12 adapters.

With regards to flows, I had quite a hard hit the other week on a square edge and it has flatspotted the rim. And I ain't no downhiller, just very very sketchy, it's still running true though. I'm considering going for the hopetech enduro rims next.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I'd be going for Flow EX's. I've been hammering mine for ages and they haven't skipped a beat. I weigh over 100kg and I'm not the smoothest of riders. Pro II's are changeable to 15mm and 142x12mm axles, that's how mine are on my TR. There's not many other rims I'd consider replacing them with except maybe some carbon rims.

FWIW I've seen more cracked and dinged 721's than any other rim and I've also seen more tyres blow off 721's than any other rim so that doesn't bode well for tubeless conversion.

If you've got the money though I'd be building the Flow EX's on some DT 240S or Industry 9 hubs. The Pro II's freehub seal isn't the best and lets water in heavy rain or going through deep puddles. It gets old very quickly having to pull the freehub apart every few rides in the winter.
  • rockmonkeysc
    trigger118 wrote:
    Are EX721s light enough to be considered an AM/Enduro rim or are they more like a DH rim? How far off are the 521's in terms of strength?
    Must say I looked at the Stans stuff for the tubeless option but there was more axle size issues.

The EX721 is 50 grammes heavier than the EN 521 but quite a lot stronger. The other one worth looking at is the WTB i25
  • trigger118
    Are there any Stans options that would be up to the job of a 160mm bike that will be used for everything (including DH), would like to try the tubeless option if possible but not really very clued up on the Stans range.
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • peter413
    The Flow EX does that perfectly or some people can even get away with Arch EX's if they're light. I treat my TR just the same as I would a 160mm bike.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I've got the old version of the Flows on my Votec 180 upfront, 165 rear and it's getting abused in the alps daily...and I am far from the silkiest of riders. You should see the state of my tyres from last weekend, the wheels are still spot on though. I have a set of Arch EX on my hardtail and they've been equally abused and still running straight and true as the day I got them (I'm 80kg on the bike)

Like I say - the Enduro/AM/DH event I was at last weekend - Flow EX were by far the most popular rim - and these are basically local guys born and raised in and around the Alps and generally wanna buy stuff that lasts...you can't get a better recommendation if you ask me
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • trigger118
    Ok cool cheers guys, where do the Crests fit in to the Stans heirarchy? Is it Crests - Archs - Flows? with Flows being the strongest and therefore heaviest?
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • peter413
    Yep, Crests shouldn't be anywhere near one of these bikes if it's being used properly. Just nit picking here but the Arch and Flow are old versions of the current Arch EX and Flow EX rims. Make sure you get the EX rims if you want the newer versions. Can't remember how the Arch EX differs but the Flow EX is wider (25.5mm vs 21mm) than the old Flow, stronger and a little heavier (about 20g IIRC).
  • trigger118
    I see, cheers Peter, I hadnt clocked the whole EX thing. Leaning majorly towards the Flow EX's at the moment. On the Merlin wheelbuilder theres so many options for spokes too, something that again I know nothing about, how much difference is it realistically gonna make? Worth the money or not?
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • rockmonkeysc
    You want butted spokes. Lighter without loosing strength.
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    I have EN521 Rims on Nukeproof Generator hubs on my 2012 Mega. I built them myself with some butted Halo spokes and they've been solid since day one.
    I've been using them for about 9 months now including 2 trips to BPW, Cwmcarn XC and DH, Forest of Dean DH. I had to tighten the spokes after about 4 months but that was probably just down to my build. They've held up very well and aren't too heavy at 545g per rim. I'd certainly recommend them!
  • trigger118
    The spoke options on Merlin are:

ACI S/S DB
    DT Plain Gauge
    ACI S/S DB Black (+£6)
    DT Competition Silver (+£9)
    DT Competition Black (+£18)
    DT Revolution Silver (+£18)
    DT Revolution Black (+£25)

I don't know enough about spokes to know what is worth the money and what isn't unfortunately, I would want black spokes but thats all I do know! Anyone got any tips? I dont even know which of those is butted and which isnt.

(EDIT) been on the DT site and it looks like the Competition is more suited to what I want than the Revolution but would the others be alright? I'm happy to spend money but still not exactly made of the stuff...
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    competition or ACI S/S DB spokes. I'd go for the ACI S/S DB Black
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    trigger118, have a look on http://www.merlincycles.com/handbuilt-wheels.html it explains the spoke options at the bottom of the page.

competition or ACI S/S DB spokes or if your downhilling on the bike dt plain gauge spokes.
  • trigger118
    can anyone see a reason to not go for the ACI S/S DB Black spokes? Bearing in mind this bike is build to be used for DH too
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • peter413
    No reason not too, no. I prefer Sapim spokes (not really sure why, just the local wheel builder likes them and I tend to trust his opinion) but I don't think Merlin offer them as an option. If you're getting Pro II's though it will more than likely be cheaper to get the Hope Hoops.

Double butted spokes are absolutely fine for DH, just make sure they're not some super lightweight things.
  • lochussie
    lochussie Posts: 276
    I can highly recommend Hope Pro 2s. Mine (not the Evos) on my Nomad have never been serviced since I bought it ex demo in 2009 and still run smooth despite much pressure washing.
  • trigger118
    Whats the difference between the Pro 2s and the Pro 2 Evos? As far as I understand it the Evo is a newer model, what did they change? Just out of curiosity really!
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • peter413
    The improvements are mostly in the rear hub. It uses changable end caps instead of having to change the whole axle. The newest ones also have 40 POE instead of 24. The axle doesn't snap all the time if you use a maxle either. The front hub is essentially the same.