crc or wiggle code wanted please - now garmin help needed!

homers_double
homers_double Posts: 8,021
edited June 2014 in The bottom bracket
Gonna splurge my birthday cash on a garmin and as the good people at tesco say, every little helps!
Advocate of disc brakes.

Comments

• homers_double
    A mate of mine who (admitedly) knows more than me about these things reccomended the 510 over the 800 series.

Any experience/reasons to go for the 800 over the 510?

That one you linked to is cheaper (obvious reason)
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I use a plain 500. If you know exactly what you want it for then you can make a more informed decision.
  • homers_double
    Heart rate - (gonna start trying seriously)
    Cadence - see above
    Uploadable stats for logging rides
    Mapping - erm, maybe as it would be nice but not a massive want.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    800 series have maps and full navigation, 500 series doesn't x10 are newer versions, x00 are older verions hence the big discounts. the 800 was the mutts nuts 12-18 months ago, I don't see how releasing the 810 makes is so much worse, so the value conscious buy is the 800 bundle linked to, or you could drop double that amount on a shiney 810 with a slightly better functionality.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Anonymous
    Sounds like all you need is the 500 which does all the above.

Re: Mapping, the 500 has breadcrumb which I find is adequate, although if a road forks slightly, it can be hard to know which way to follow it so sometimes I have to double back which is a mega pain if it means going back uphill.
  • homers_double
    Whats the downside of not having bluetooth? I have to upload to garmin connect/strava via an old fashioned wire?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Anonymous
    Yep, which can go faulty after a few years. (mine died but garmin's warranty is excellent and I had my head unit replaced for 50% RRP even though I was a second owner and the warranty had expired).

Bluetooth also allows you to connect with your phone and another person can 'live track' you.
  • homers_double
    So given the fact that I'm generally OK at finding my way about via road signs the 510 is a better piece of kit?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    So given the fact that I'm generally OK at finding my way about via road signs the 510 is a better piece of kit?
    Normally the 510 would meet your needs and the 800/810 would be overkill.
    But as that 800 bundle is such a bargain you may as well get that one. Unless you can find a 510 bargain.
    IMHO.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.