Best Road Shoes for SPD pedals?

simonl83
simonl83 Posts: 26
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody had any suggestions.

I have had my first road bike for a few months now and I am still using my 2 year old Sports Soccer MTB shoes.

I've got a few big rides coming up and find it a bit embarrassing when everybody else is wearing SIDIs or Lakes and I'm donning my Muddy Fox.

I have no intention of changing from SPD any time soon as I don't see the point and I enjoy riding with SPDs so I will need 2 bolt compatible shoes but want shoes with a stiff sole.

I like the look of the Shimano R088 and the RT32 which both get good reviews. Both are also on offer at the moment at CRC and Wiggle. I know the RT32 will be easier to walk in but I also like the fact that the R088 has an adjustable ratchet strap.

What are people's views on these and can anybody recommend any others.

Thanks.
2014 Giant Defy 1
2011 Dawes Discovery 501 Deore Hybrid
2019 Claud Butler Alpina 29 MTB

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I use the Shimano M087 shoe.

The R088 is 3 bolt cleats only - so you'd need an adapter plate.

TBH, if your shoes are comfortable and not falling apart then there is little reason to replace them ...
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    I use Shimano RT82:

1757808-p-4x.jpg

Plenty stiff enough, light, and look like a road shoe rather than some chunky MTB effort.

Done 100 mile+ rides with no issues in these.

Paid about £65 I think.
  • Hinzy9
    Hinzy9 Posts: 72
    Cube Attempt 2011
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I use the XC50N - no vents so much more water resistant and my feet have never been hot in them - they are actually my spring/summer/autumn shoes as I have MW81 boots for the winter, to stop water coming in at the ankles in heavy rain. Neither are very roadie looking though, but easier to walk in too!

Slowbike is wrong - the R088 does allow SPD or SPD-SL, see http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod91468 Maybe earlier year versions didnt?
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I use M088, prod91461_IMGSET?wid=500&hei=500 which are good for walking in but I find rather narrow, my little toe gets quite squashed so I'm thinking I might have to swap them for the wide fit version. As I understand it all Shimano shoes are quite narrow.
  • funkyg
    funkyg Posts: 68
    I have the RT32's they are my first SPD shoe. They're OK, if a little cheap feeling.
    Comfy though and do their job well. They are snug though so the next size up may be an idea.
    GT Avalanche 3.0 Hydro
    Ridley R6 EL
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,537
    jotko wrote:
    I use Shimano RT82:

Plenty stiff enough, light, and look like a road shoe rather than some chunky MTB effort.

Done 100 mile+ rides with no issues in these.

Paid about £65 I think.
    Ditto the RT82... the successor to the RT81, which I had before. I've done about 25,000 miles in these two pairs.
  • pigeontoes
    pigeontoes Posts: 73
    Ditto RT82, you do need to try them on before buying as the sizes come up very small.
  • simonl83
    The RT82 look great. Ribble are doing them for £64 at the moment. Saw them in my LBS the other day but dismissed them as they were £90.

Looks like my mind is made up. Thanks for your help.
    2014 Giant Defy 1
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    The dhb R2.0 from Wiggle is a nice shoe. I'm using them at the moment. Good spec for the money and very comfortable.
  • simonl83
    johnny25 wrote:
    The dhb R2.0 from Wiggle is a nice shoe. I'm using them at the moment. Good spec for the money and very comfortable.

Aren't they 3 bolt only though. Just found the Bontrager DLX half price at Evans though for around 45 quid.

This is a nightmare.
    2014 Giant Defy 1
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,537
    simonl83 wrote:
    johnny25 wrote:

Aren't they 3 bolt only though. Just found the Bontrager DLX half price at Evans though for around 45 quid.

This is a nightmare.
    I'd stick with the RT82. I paid £80 for mine, and am still happy with them, even at that price. And for a first road shoe, with SPD, you'd be hard pushed to get much better for the price they are now. The only caveat I'd put is that they do not suit very broad feet and come up quite small on sizing, so you ought to try them on first, if you can.
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    simonl83 wrote:
    johnny25 wrote:

This is a nightmare.
    I'd stick with the RT82. I paid £80 for mine, and am still happy with them, even at that price. And for a first road shoe, with SPD, you'd be hard pushed to get much better for the price they are now. The only caveat I'd put is that they do not suit very broad feet and come up quite small on sizing, so you ought to try them on first, if you can.

Yes - get the RT82 :)

I am a UK size 9, I ordered a 44 according to this: http://www.evanscycles.com/product_docu ... -chart.pdf

They fit great , no issues at all.

If in doubt just order two sizes and return the ones that dont fit so well, I do this with clothes all the time from CRC/Wiggle etc
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    The best are Sidi Dragon 3 and the S-Works MTB.

The S-Works are only £149 in Cycle Surgery at the mo. That is a bargain and much cheaper than the Dragons but for looks and comfort the Dragons are the kings of SPD shoes.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I use these, but in 2013 trim:

http://road.cc/content/review/4791-spec ... cktabs_2=0

25038.jpg
    Road.CC wrote:
    My quest for a road shoe you can walk on is over! I've been looking for a pair of comfortable and stiff - in short, performance - cycling shoes in the what manufacturers would call MTB class.

They're usually £160 but I got mine for £100 and I've seen them as low as £80, so much cheaper than S-Works.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I use M088, which are good for walking in but I find rather narrow, my little toe gets quite squashed so I'm thinking I might have to swap them for the wide fit version. As I understand it all Shimano shoes are quite narrow.

Which I did this weekend, exactly the same M088 but wide fit. Much better, I was wary they would be too wide, but they are just right, feels like normal shoes!
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I use these, but in 2013 trim:

http://road.cc/content/review/4791-spec ... cktabs_2=0

25038.jpg
    Road.CC wrote:
    My quest for a road shoe you can walk on is over! I've been looking for a pair of comfortable and stiff - in short, performance - cycling shoes in the what manufacturers would call MTB class.

They're usually £160 but I got mine for £100 and I've seen them as low as £80, so much cheaper than S-Works.

That is an ugly shoe. You would be shopping on price only, to choose that over the S Works. Good styling will always attract a premium.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    The best are Sidi Dragon 3 and the S-Works MTB.

The S-Works are only £149 in Cycle Surgery at the mo. That is a bargain . .. .

I agree. I use S-Works, identical to the road S-Works except some quite low profile tread up front. Lightweight, super-stiff carbon sole and very comfy (for me anyway).
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Spiuk ZS15-MC. I've had great success with the predecessor ZS11-MC, so I can't see why the new variant wouldn't be equally good.
  • simonl83
    Thanks people. My RT82s came today. Ordered a size 46 for my size 10 feet and they are perfect.
    2014 Giant Defy 1
  • Hi :) ,

I have the Sonic SRS by Northwave and they are my first road shoes SPD compatible.
    I have other cycling shoes by Northwave and they are very comfortable!!! :)
    These shoes are lightweight, give support to the sole of the foot and perfect stiffness to transmit all my strength to the pedals.

Read here: http://www.northwave.com/en/cycling_shoes

I hope I have been of help

Bye Bye :wink:
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I have some RT82s waiting for me at home today too I think. Initially went for size 43, but they were a bit big so have dropped down to a 42, which I hope will be perfect.

Got Wiggle to pricematch Ribble at something like £56 as they were doing a 10% discount and do free returns.

Currently have some 7 year old Specialized which are thoroughly used up! I did try the Specialized RBX shoe at Evans, but neither the 42 or 43 was quite right.