Is the BB starting to go?

Darlophil
Darlophil Posts: 16
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I have to admit I'm not the most mechanically sympathetic cyclist around, so if I describe my bike issues, hopefully someone might be able to help.

The last couple of rides I've started to get a bit of a knocking sound on the chainring/pedals when I'm out of the saddle going up a climb. However when I'm back in the saddle and on the flat, there isn't any knocking.

From my limited mechanical knowledge I’ve got two conclusions.

1 - Is the bottom bracket staring to fail? Possibly a corroded bearing? The doubt on this is that I've have a BB go on my previous bike and the crank wiggled which was the sign that the BB had gone. I'm not getting the crank wobble in this case.

2 - Could the gears be misaligned? Like I said this is mainly happening when I'm going up slight climbs. I'll be on the big front ring and one of the smaller rear rings. Could the added torque of peddling out the saddle be exacerbating the gear mech being out of alignment?

Thanks

Phil

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Loose pedal, loos crank, loose chainring, etc.
    Any one of many things.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,435
    On my first bike it had the old cup and cone BB. I had terrible groaning, clicking noises which at first I thought was a loose LHS crank as when I tightened the nut it would cease for a bit. Didn't have any looseness or uneveness in the bearing that I could detect. One rainy weekend I stripped it down. Turns out it was well worn balls. New set cured it completely.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    cooldad wrote:
    Loose pedal, loos crank, loose chainring, etc.
    Any one of many things.

This where I would start make sure nothing is loose or rubbing. The last two noises I had were lose chain ring bolts and the gear cable end rubbing / knocking.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    cyd190468 wrote:
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    Turns out it was well worn balls.
    I've got that problem too.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Something was clicking on my bike the other day. Appeared to be the BB area and was pressure related. Yesterday and today nothing. Dirt in the wrong place can be the only explanation.
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    I have knocking issues on my Trek Fuel EX, the rear suspension rocker link at the top of the shock is sometimes 1 1/2 turn loose and this makes a loud knocking noise and the play you can feel through the saddle is quite extraordinary! Quick tighten up and it's fine, but there is sometimes another knocking sound which I think could be the BB as when the bike is washed and oiled and fresh on the trails it makes the sound when pedalling, seated. Comes and goes and doesn't seem to be in any dependent on how I'm riding.

Frustrating, but riding is more important than fixing it - might be the wrong mantra but hey ho.
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09