Brown Sludge

BobbyTrigger
BobbyTrigger Posts: 377
edited June 2014 in Workshop
cleaned the bike as normal, then lubed it to death as i generally do.

next time i went back to it i noticed a load of brown sludge coming out of the steerer tube at the join to the forks and also brown sludge coming out of my skewers.

obviously i realise this isn't great but potentially how bad could it be?

i guess a trip to the LBS for a service is required.

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I'd guess that your headset is shot, I got the same result after using my CR1 this winter. It's quite an easy job to take it apart, clean it and replace the bearings.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    water has got into the headset bearings causing rust. What lube are you using you do know some of those spray lubes remove the grease in bearings i.e sp[raying GT85 or worse WD40 all over your cassette can often remove grease from hub bearings.

Luning a bike to death is not a good idea. On a bit of lube on the chain is required nothing more. If the headset bearings feel notchy they need to be changed.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • BobbyTrigger
    cheers. i guess my skewers are cattled too?

finishline oil for chain, cassette etc... GT 85 for frame, cable housings etc..
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I doubt it's the skewers - probably sludge from the hub bearings ...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Yup - as per cycleclinic: sounds like water ingress into headset causing potential rust on bearings and skank in bearing grease causing the grease to go all skanky.

Its not a biggy though and no need to panic: just drop the forks out, clean the headset bearings, regrease and reassemble.

No need for new one unless it really jazzed and, as above, all notchy, but a good clean and regrease will work wonders.

The skewers aren't really an issue: take out, clean, clean through the wheel where they go through, light oil/grease. reassemble.

Re lubes: chain and a wipe over the cables to prevent rust and that's about it. Chain is degreased with Jizer once a week. I tend to change all cables (inners and outers) about every 9 months anyway (before they go jack) with Shimano lones from the big Shimano cable box down the LBS (nowt fancy butt good quality) - two gear cables, outers, two brake cables & outers cost £15.

No need to cover the frame on GT/WD/whatever: car shampoo wash every couple of weeks (including good clean of the chain with same), car polish every few months, job jobbed.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    My new favourite video shows how to remove, clean and refit a headset (something I'd avoided in the past until I saw how easy it is).

http://roadcyclinguk.com/how-to/techniq ... adset.html
  • BobbyTrigger
    great video cheers!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    There are lots of cleaning regimes you can do for chains I find Rock n roll lube does the job well enough cleaning is not needed unless you want it clean. As I have little spare time one less job to do is very welcome for me.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.