Campag Veloce

type:epyt
type:epyt Posts: 766
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Are there any 2013 Veloce users on the forum?

I'm looking at getting back onto my road bike and am looking to update from my old 9 speed to 10 speed compact and wondered if anyone had experience of the newer style shifters and had any comments on their comfort (or otherwise) and also looks in the flesh (my old 2002 shifters are very industrial looking).

I found a good deal on last years Veloce online but sadly no local lbs stock that particular groupset (or even have it on a bike) for me to get a good look.

Should I just go for it? Or are there better options these days?
Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I took it off of a Wilier GTR and put it on a friends Allez for him. In all honesty, it's been nothing but trouble for him. The cranks that came with it are FSA Gossamer and the left one is continually working its way loose. The components look and feel cheap and nasty too. As a groupset, Campagnolo, Shimano or SRAM have better options than Veloce.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Veloce works very well. I have been using it for a while. Shifter just work, gear changing is smooth. the comment about the FSA crankset is not even relevant. Everything Veloce works well I would not hesistate to buying it again. I think the hood shape is perfect.

I am not sure what the above poster means about the components looking cheap and feeling nasty. I do not agree unless you are comparing it too Campagnolo record or Shimano Dura Ace which is hardly fair is it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    I run full Veloce and love it, IMO the levers are so much more comfortable than Shimano, the shifting is crisp and have been perfect for me..
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    I've been running 2012 Veloce Shifters & Derailleurs for just over 20 months on my commuter, I had one shifter fail due to a fault with the teeth but it felt a little dodgy from new and could happen with any product.

I'm running NOS Veloce Ultra Torque Cranks which have been fine so I can't comment on the newer Power Torque.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Power torque cranks work like all other cranks. Rings are durable though unlike some others. Yes shifters of all brands fail nothing new there. Power torque cranks need a visit to a good LBS to change BB bearings but these are quite durable thankfully.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    philthy3 wrote:
    I took it off of a Wilier GTR and put it on a friends Allez for him. In all honesty, it's been nothing but trouble for him. The cranks that came with it are FSA Gossamer and the left one is continually working its way loose. The components look and feel cheap and nasty too. As a groupset, Campagnolo, Shimano or SRAM have better options than Veloce.

That's an FSA issue not a Campagnolo issue then.

OP there's nothing wrong with Veloce. It's a solid groupset. I've got it on my winter bike and used to have it on another bike. My mates got it on his new Cinelli and he likes it too. It's about to be upgunned with the newer 2015 model - EPS style shifters.
  • woolwich
    woolwich Posts: 298
    Solid underrated groupset. I would fit another without hesitation.
    Mud to Mudguards. The Art of framebuilding.
    http://locksidebikes.co.uk/
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    OK, based on the feedback I think I'll just go for it.

It's the old style veloce that's on the bike at the moment and if it wasn't for the fact that it's 52/42 chainrings I would just make do with 9 speed until I was in a better frame of mind (and pocket) to go for Centaur or Athena.

Cheers for the responses guys.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.