11 speed ultegra chain set, threaded chainring bolt!

drplumbster
drplumbster Posts: 83
edited June 2014 in Workshop
I have a threaded bolt and can't get it out, any ideas?

Comments

• 101 views, no advice? HELP! :)
  • Are you using the correct tool to hold the nut part -Shimano TL-FC20 - and key for the bolt part (T 30 on 105 so reckon it may well be the same for Ultegra) AFAIK other brand bolt tools work too I quite fancy this one myself having recently struggled with my chainring bolts - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fwe ... h-ec053207

These bolts often sieze up I had to soak mine with WD 40 for a while but once I got the right tool it came straight off. If your is siezed badly then PlusGas is always reccomended here as being better than Wd40 for this job. Some also recommend heating it up with a soldering iron to try to break the bond. Worst comes to worst drill it out and replace it!
  • Hi, nope that tool isn't helpful, the bolts have T25 hex key screws, mine is threaded so I can't get any grip using my T25 hex key, is drilling the whole bolt out my only option here?
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    When you say threaded what to you mean? Is the head of the bolt rounded out or have you stripped the threads off the bolt by over tightening it cross threading?
  • The former, as in I can't get it out as the part that takes the hex hey if rounded off
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Just went and looked at mine, and you need a Torx or star hex key, rather than the classic Allen key. Now that its rounded off, I don't know if a star type would fit with enough purchase to let you unscrew it, maybe worth a try?

When I had a badly rounded off hex type holt, I cut across the top with a Dremmel until a particularly wide screwdriver fitted, and managed to unscrew it with that.
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    The former, as in I can't get it out as the part that takes the hex hey if rounded off

I assume you are referring to a recessed head on the bolt otherwise what follows will make no sense!

I used these for my 7900 chainset to successfully remove a rounded bolt
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_216735_langId_-1_categoryId_165572

They are left hand threaded and probably best to have someone holding the chainset whilst you play.

BTW the bolts on my chainset were T30 not T25 as advised by shop (which is how I got into my predicament in the first place)
    Regards
    Alan
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Yip, either the screw extractor set or you can try hammering in the next size up Torx key. Obviously you'll need a new bolt either way.

Last resort would be to drill it out.
  • devhads
    devhads Posts: 236
    I have used this several times to get bolts out both torx and hex.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/trend-pro-gra ... eces/21391

Depending on the severity of the rounding out it has either popped straight out or required a bit of drilling with a drill bit to make the hole deeper. I also think they are getting a bit blunt now as they don't seem to be as effective as they used too. When they were new I managed to get a disc brake caliper bolt out that was in at about 20nm, popped right out.
  • Term1te wrote:
    Just went and looked at mine, and you need a Torx or star hex key, rather than the classic Allen key. Now that its rounded off, I don't know if a star type would fit with enough purchase to let you unscrew it, maybe worth a try?

When I had a badly rounded off hex type holt, I cut across the top with a Dremmel until a particularly wide screwdriver fitted, and managed to unscrew it with that.

Hi yes I did know that one requires a torx key, that's what I used a T25 worked well for 3/4 bolts, the last one was obviously damaged before I started as the others came out easily with no fuss.
  • Term1te wrote:

Thanks for the advice, a T25 definitely fitted the other bolts, this is an ultegra 11 speed 6800 the one with only 4 bolts not 5. Are you talking about the same crank?
  • devhads wrote:
    I have used this several times to get bolts out both torx and hex.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/trend-pro-gra ... eces/21391

Depending on the severity of the rounding out it has either popped straight out or required a bit of drilling with a drill bit to make the hole deeper. I also think they are getting a bit blunt now as they don't seem to be as effective as they used too. When they were new I managed to get a disc brake caliper bolt out that was in at about 20nm, popped right out.

Thanks I may have to resort to something like this!
  • BTW the bolts on my chainset were T30 not T25 as advised by shop (which is how I got into my predicament in the first place)[/quote]

Sincerest of apologies you are completely correct!! I feel like a complete muppet, I have just successfully after a whole lot of force got it out with a T30!!! Which I should have used in the first place!!!!

Anyone want to buy an almost brand new 53 tooth ultegra ring?

JP
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    Sincerest of apologies you are completely correct!! I feel like a complete muppet, I have just successfully after a whole lot of force got it out with a T30!!! Which I should have used in the first place!!!! JP
    Not a problem - pleased that you managed to remove the bolt and I am sure it will be burned into your consciousness that its a T30 - it certainly is in mine!
    Regards
    Alan
  • Go to the corner and write out 1000 times:

The Forum is always right

Seriously - glad to hear its sorted when one of mine got stuck last week the lbs got it out with the correct nut tool so my mistake was made on the other end.