Alu to carbon forks?

fatsmoker
fatsmoker Posts: 585
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Just had the cog, middle chain ring, chain and BB replaced on my bike. Was wondering as I rode home enjoying the smoother shifting and pedalling whether I'd enjoy the ride even more with a carbon fork - it's currently aluminium. It's for my old base level Spesh Secteur which didn't have the zertz insert fork.
Would this be a good upgrade or would wheels be better? (bearing in mind that I mainly commute over some really crappy roads with a rack and pannier bag so need strong wheels)

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    It would save weight and add a bit of compliance (depending on which forks you got). If you can pick them up cheap enough, then why not. For comfort wheel/tyre selection will probably play a bigger role. Think wide tyres at low pressures.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • fatsmoker
    Cheers for that. I have 25mm tyres at about 100psi, comfy enough. I'll start investigating carbon forks - a 17mph average over my 15 miles this morning has got me all excited (bit of a tail wind).
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I noticed Cheap carbon forks weigh the same as aluminum ones.
  • fatsmoker
    I'll be getting a bit extra in this month's pay packet so intend to get myself carbon forks. The question is which.
    These
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FOPXPCR2/planet-x-pro-carbon-road-fork
    or
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/forks-forks-road-itm-alhena-3k-carbon-forks/italforr150
    or may be
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/forks-forks-road-ribble-black-road-carbon-road-forks/ribbforr155
    I have no idea what to base my purchase on, so any pointers will be appreciated.
    Also looking to get those Fulcrum 5 wheels with tubes and tyres that are on sale at wiggle.
  • buy a new bike
  • jack_flap
    jack_flap Posts: 40
    Or even just buy a new frame - eg the Ribble Sportive + Carbon forks + Headset is £180ish at the moment.

Swap your components over & sell the old frame.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Jack Flap wrote:
    Or even just buy a new frame - eg the Ribble Sportive + Carbon forks + Headset is £180ish at the moment.
    Sorry - where?
  • jack_flap
    mroli wrote:
    Jack Flap wrote:
    Sorry - where?

You can the code "SALE13" on the Ribble website for 13% until Tuesday so would work out to be £180.

I picked up one of their Audax/winter frames in a similar sale last year with some R501 wheels, used some old Ultegra bits & pieces lying around and had a nice bike for very little cash.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I'd argue that the Secteur frame is just as good if not better than the Ribble 7005. Also, the OP know the Secteur fits but the geometry on the Ribble is more aggressive so may not be appropriate for a commute.

You can get a decent fork for less than £100, if you want to risk ebay, half that. That'll be £100+ saved towards new wheels.
  • fatsmoker
    Yeah, I like my secteur, which is why I'm going for upgrades rather than a new bike, plus my wife won't notice things being added to to it, she would notice a new bike and not be very happy. A new bathroom and or kitchen is more to her needs at the moment.
  • jack_flap
    Fair enough, I hadn't looked into the Secteur but yes if you are happy with that money best put towards wheels, some decent forks on the sites you are looking at.

Unless you find a way to convince the wife to gradually upgrade the bathroom/kitchen instead!
  • fatsmoker
    I'll get a new towel from Lidl later today :-)
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    fatsmoker wrote:
    ...plus my wife won't notice things being added to to it, she would notice a new bike and not be very happy..

LOL upgrades by stealth..not so much "+1" as "+0.1" :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • fatsmoker
    of course my problem is that the forks (planet x ones) will be delivered to home rather than work, cos i don't want to fit them at work/carry them home by bike. Likewise the wheels, so not really stealth purchases. In my defence, I have just paid off the last of the credit card bill. Yay! Just hope the car gets through its MOT without too much expense.
  • fatsmoker
    I've now got new Fulcrum 7s and those Continental Ultrasport tyres that most people are say are crap along with a Planet X carbon fork on my bike. Comfier ride - I was surprised at how much smoother the road feels. And the acceleration from the new wheels surprised me. Happy with my upgrade. :)