Kids felt MTB crank help!

jimbo0023
jimbo0023 Posts: 96
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, my sons felt Q20S has a cross threaded pedal (right side) and as such the crank arm is now knackered.

I thought I would use my crank puller to get it off and try and find a replacement but my puller is too big for the crank?

I've searched the spec from saddleback (uk distributor of the Felt kids bikes) and the spec says "sealed cartridge square taper axle (68mm).

Q. Do I need a special crank puller to get it off?
Q. It's a 38T 140mm crank, can I just unbolt the arm and replace with any 140mm arm?

Were out of action until I can get his bike back on the road for the summer so any help appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    How is the puller too big?

What puller do you have.

Take the arm to a bike shop and they should have some thread savers. If not find a proper bike shop. If you don't have one of them may be an engineers shop and talk Helicoils.

Yes another suitable arm could fit if the fitting is the same angle and they are designed for the same BB axel length.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jimbo0023
    jimbo0023 Posts: 96
    nicklouse wrote:

What puller do you have.

Take the arm to a bike shop and they should have some thread savers. If not find a proper bike shop. If you don't have one of them may be an engineers shop and talk Helicoils.

Yes another suitable arm could fit if the fitting is the same angle and they are designed for the same BB axel length.
    nicklouse wrote:

What puller do you have.

The thread diameter is smaller on the crank, I've searched online for a smaller thread crank puller but can't find anything?

I've never heard of thread savers but will ring round some local bike shops and give it a go

Thanks