Shoes & pedals

macp
macp Posts: 94
edited June 2014 in Road beginners
Firstly sorry for what is probably a question asked time and time again but as the forum refuses to allow me to search I had no choice but to post these questions.

My new used bike is fitted with Look pedals but having never clipped in before im a complete novice and could do with a little help.So I have read the threads regarding whether to use MTB or road pedals and the arguments for and against but decided as mine has Look pedals I may as well stick with those.

So do I have to look for Look compatible shoes or is there an adaptor to use two hole SPD shoes with the Look pedals.Are SPD-SL the Shimano equivalents and can be used with Look ?

Thankyou in advance for your help.

Comments

• simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    You can't use 2 bolt shoes with 3 bolt pedals. You can use 3 bolt shoes with 2 bolt pedals (either with adaptors or shoes drilled for both), but there are few instances in which it is beneficial to do so. 3 bolt is SPD-SL as well as Look. Any shoe branded 'road' will be fine.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    You need some look cleats too. Cleats are normally sold with the pedals rather than the shoes for obvious reasons, although you can but just the cleats.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • macp
    macp Posts: 94
    Bike has arrived now and the pedals are Look A5.1 which I believe are standard ?
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    They are as good as anything, but as pedals themselves aren't that expensive - you can get some SPD for £15 including cleats, then there's not a massive argument for having to stick with them.