Need help removing cranks (pics inside)

Bobster90
Bobster90 Posts: 16
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm struggling to remove the cranks and replace the knackered BB on my old 2010 Trek 6300 mountain bike, I want to use this bike on my turbo trainer but need to replace the BB first.

I watched videos on how to do it but they seem different to mine, I bought a crank puller (pictured below) and inserted it into the thread and tightened the bolt part but it just went all the way down without touching anything until it stopped like its not long enough? (this was the case on both sides)

Could anyone tell me what tool I need to remove the cranks and even better tell me which BB I can get on order to replace the old stock one. I haven't managed to get the cranks off yet to even see or measure the BB.

Thanks for any help, pictures below:

photo1-2.jpg

photo4-2.jpg

Crank serial #
photo2-2.jpg

photo3-2.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You need the octalink/ISIS puller.

As covered on Parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Yep
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Bobster90
    Well I got one crank off but the side with the drive-train is stuck on solid and I ended up stripping the threads turning the puller too much, so I took a hammer to it and made things worse and now I have a new bike on order. :roll:

Next time a BB needs replacing just take it to a shop me thinks.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bobster90 wrote:
    Well I got one crank off but the side with the drive-train is stuck on solid and I ended up stripping the threads turning the puller too much, so I took a hammer to it and made things worse and now I have a new bike on order. :roll:

Next time a BB needs replacing just take it to a shop me thinks.
    So you ordered a new bike rather than hacksaw through the crank?

Erm I have some spare ISIS arms if you want to finish the job....or make the bike saleable!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Bobster90
    Thanks for your kind offer but I will decline, I never thought about just hack sawing it off there may be hope yet then. I was looking for a excuse to get a new bike anyway.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    And so another perfectly usable bike goes to the great bike park in the sky...
  • Bobster90
    Nah I'm fixing it, will get a winter bike out of it yet.