Sticking hydraulic brakes

Father Faff
Father Faff Posts: 1,176
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Bike 1 Sat unused for a while, rear brake appears to have seized up, or at least no amount of wiggling, pumping, etc has much effect. I presume I will need to remove the caliper and do something - but what?

Bike 2 Had the wheels off to do some work on the bike and accidentally squeezed the brake levers as you do. Managed to prize pads apart to get wheels back on pads aren't properly unsticking. What is best way to free them up?

Thanks for all suggestions.
Commencal Meta 5.5.1
Scott CR1

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    We'll it all depends on what the brakes are.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    Sorry hydraulic disc brakes. Formula on one, Avid on the other. Pretty standard.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Try lubricating the pistons with brake oil or I use fork juice, and push pistons into the caliper more. Avid seem quite high maintenance brakes.
    'I'll trek two please....!
    To HT or not to HT is the question...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Try lubricating the pistons with brake oil
    By which he means the brake fluid used in that particular brake, do not use DOT brake fluid on a system that uses mineral oil as it will kill the seals.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.