6nm on a headset.

nicholsonsimon
nicholsonsimon Posts: 44
edited June 2014 in Workshop
I've had a persistent problem with an enigma evolution headset. I get a loud crack 2 or 3 times on a full turn of the bars. I've just tightened it up to the point that the noise stops, and it's at approx 6nm. This seems like a lot to tension the bearings. I've worked on lots of bikes over the years, and usually a headset takes a lot less than this to take out the play. It's a bung in a carbon steerer, not a sf nut. Everything has been done as per procedure. Also, at this current tightness, the headset turns smoothly without any resistance. Hopefully it'll be fine, but has anyone had to tighten a top cap this tight before?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    No idea you don't torque the top cap bolt. Just tighten as needed to remove play without things getting stiff.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    No idea you don't torque the top cap bolt. Just tighten as needed to remove play without things getting stiff.

I only checked it with the torque wrench to give you an idea of how tight it was.
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    Is there enough gap between the top of the steerer and the top cap? Depending on the design of the top cap, you might need as much as 5mm or the top cap will hit the steerer and then it's impossible to do it up tight enough.

However, your description of a cracking sound could be due to spacers slipping. If you have more than one spacer under the stem, then replacing them with a single big spacer will fix that.
  • Mr Evil wrote:
    your description of a cracking sound could be due to spacers slipping. If you have more than one spacer under the stem, then replacing them with a single big spacer will fix that.

I think you've nailed with that Mr Evil, it's the one thing I haven't considered, and it fits the cracking sound, I'll find out later when I reassemble it. Cheers.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have found some bung to be useless for example the columbus one (I have one does anyone want it its free its that crap) replaced it with a Zenith bung on my wifes new bike and suddenly the play has gone. Odd that something works when it designed properly. Play can be removed by checking the normal things. Never found more than one spacer one top of the stem to have ever caused a problem but it possible.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.