bike bags (flight/courier bag)

irvs
irvs Posts: 204
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
hi everyone, as I've left the cold UK for sunny Oz now comes the time to have my bike couriered over. now I haven't a clue about bike bags so could someone point me in the right direction please.

thanks neil.

Comments

• lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Are you only going once? Apparently the way to go is just to get a box from your LBS and pack it properly for that trip.

Otherwise Scicon AeroTech Evolution are apparently the way to go.

http://www.panaguabikes.com/pages/bike- ... 5c-3HJdV8E
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    If you are going for a courier I would get a box - much better than a bag - or a hardshell type bag might be good too but for a one way trip a box is cheap as chips, whoever is packing the bike can ring local big bike shop (Evans or similar) and they might even be able to get them to pack it into the box for them for a pack of biscuits or a case of beer.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Use a box, use pipe lagging on the frame, make some discs of carrdboard to wedge in the box to stop it getting squashed, I've helped a few people ship bikes like that with no issues.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Hard box, soft bag, cardboard box etc - all have their success stories but also their failures. The thought is that hard boxes tend to get thrown around and have things stacked on them more, because the handlers think they are strong, soft bags get treated more gently (sometimes!) but obviously dont offer as much protection. There is another school of thought which is to use the CTC bags - just a thin polythene bag to protect against scratches but not much else - the theory behind this is that it is still seen as a bike, rather than a box/bag and treated as such. The theory has worked many times for alot of people but didnt work for someone on my trip to Italy this year who had a bent derailleur on arrival...

If its one way, or freight shipping, I would certainly consider the cardboard bike box idea - just make sure to pack it well.

Whatever you choose, it is always a gamble though!
  • irvs
    irvs Posts: 204
    thanks very much for the info guys very helpful. im probably going to be moving around the world more in the next few years so I guess ill get a sturdy bike bag, plus its an easy place to keep the bike stored.

can anyone recommend any good ones please???

neil