padded shorts.....??

bagz3
bagz3 Posts: 253
edited June 2014 in MTB general
Hi everyone,

Coming from road cycling background here, and having luxury of padded shorts. I just been out for a few hours on a mountain bike today and my arse was in bits from just wearing some normal sports shorts.

You you guys wear padded shorts or any mountain bike specific shorts which would help? Otherwise i'll be wearing my bib shorts underneath next time.

Comments

• Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    My mate swears by his bib shorts on the mtb, said he had funny looks when he once stopped to put the straps over his shouders after forgetting to do it before setting off. Helps keep his moobs steady too.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Yep pretty much all mountain bikers have padded shorts on under the baggy shorts. We just like to look normal(ish) when we're out and about. :wink:

MTB and Road clothes and padded shorts can be cut differently and there is a slight noticeable difference but no need to go get a new wardrobe unless you think you'll start doing MTB more often.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I always wear padded under shorts with baggies or tights ever since a 75km ride with just baggies left me with an ar*e like a broken cat flap.
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    My MTB mate does the same with his bibs.

When I've been I've worn my cycle shorts (not bibs) under some baggies which have worked brilliantly.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/alt ... s-ec002029
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Bibs under baggies, usually. Liners under baggies if it's a bit more pleasant weather.
  • Check out endura shorts , they come with removable liner. Got a couple of pairs normal and 3/4
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Bibs for the win.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I always wear padded shorts under my baggies. Slap some Chamois cream on for good measure too.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have a pair of 3/4 bibs I sometimes use in winter but to be honest not keen on them. I find the shoulder straps bug me when wearing a rucksak so usually just use them when I am on the rigid bike which has a saddle pack and bottle cage.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    yep padded shorts. most baggies have the padded liners clipped into them.
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    Endura Humvees!
  • Don't get the point of baggies
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Biggest benefit is no-one thinks you are a roadie....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't get the point of baggies
    You would if you were shaped like me. Delicate women and small children have been known to scream and run away.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Don't get the point of baggies

You would if you slid on your aris down a gravel and nettle track.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • booldawg
    booldawg Posts: 290
    I wear padded shorts under my trial shorts for anything over 25 miles. Remember - padded lycra = no underwear!
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • AndyPatio
    AndyPatio Posts: 76
    Padded shorts and then some baggie cargo shorts over the top. It does the job for me