Di2 frameset recommendations

pedalbasher
pedalbasher Posts: 215
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
I have written off my Canyon Ultimate CF SLX frame in a crash.

I originally wanted to take advantage of Canyon's crash replacement scheme, but they have no framesets in stock so I would have to wait until October for a replacement, at the bargain cost of £1,059.

But I want to ride over the summer, and have a number of events planned including a race in Germany and trips to Mallorca and Spain. So I have a dilemma: do I wait and buy the Canyon frame in October, or do I spend a bit more on an alternative frame now which will enable me to ride throughout the summer?

I have wheels, full Ultegra di2 groupset, bars, saddle and stem, so I literally just need a di2 frameset (with internal cable routing).

At the moment, I'm pretty convinced I should just wait until October and suck up a few months on my old aluminum Giant TCR, but it's a shame I won't get to enjoy the best bike over the coming months and particularly on the trips I've booked (and for which I've paid for the bike to travel with me).

Are there any great deals on di2 framesets around at the moment? Something equivalent to the Ultimate CF SLX - stiff, light, good-looking (and dark colours ideally). Size 54-ish (Canyon size Small).

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • pedalbasher
    Thanks Grill. To be honest, not a fan of the silver and not in my size...
  • Grill
    Thought you needed a 54 (M in Scott)?
  • string78
    string78 Posts: 59
    Thanks Grill. To be honest, not a fan of the silver and not in my size...

Westbrook have the Foil (Black) in stock in a 54 or 56 but you will have to buy it with the groupset, sell the groupset and becomes even more of a bargain....

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott-foil-15-di2-aero-road-frameset-2012-with-ultegra-6800-11-speed-di2-groupset-p246029
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    The Boardman SLR 9.8 is about £1300.

Great frame, mega stiff and one of the lightest out there at around 800g
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • pedalbasher
    Thanks, I've actually just today pressed buy on the Scott Foil 15. Bit of a gamble but reckon the re-sale value will be more than I've paid if it's a disaster... and I still have the option of buying the Canyon frame via their crash replacement scheme in October.

@ Grill - you may remember I bought some Reynolds Assaults, largely on your advice, a few months ago. Assume they will work well with the Foil? Do you think it's worth looking at getting (with the money I've saved) a lightweight set of alu rims for trips to Mallorca and Spain in the summer, or will the Assaults be suitable? I'm still a teeny bit worried about the rim failure issues, even though I'm confident in my braking technique and I hear good things about Reynolds' rims. It's just that sometimes there is no option but to squeal away behind a line of slow-moving traffic negotiating the hairpins...
  • limoneboy
    limoneboy Posts: 480
    My Advice - get a set of alloy rims - i lost a pair of carbon rims due to braking on descents - not such an issue if you ride for a team but if you have to fork for another pair its more painful. learnt my lession just passing it on .
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
  • Grill
    Thanks, I've actually just today pressed buy on the Scott Foil 15. Bit of a gamble but reckon the re-sale value will be more than I've paid if it's a disaster... and I still have the option of buying the Canyon frame via their crash replacement scheme in October.

@ Grill - you may remember I bought some Reynolds Assaults, largely on your advice, a few months ago. Assume they will work well with the Foil? Do you think it's worth looking at getting (with the money I've saved) a lightweight set of alu rims for trips to Mallorca and Spain in the summer, or will the Assaults be suitable? I'm still a teeny bit worried about the rim failure issues, even though I'm confident in my braking technique and I hear good things about Reynolds' rims. It's just that sometimes there is no option but to squeal away behind a line of slow-moving traffic negotiating the hairpins...

Yeah they'll work well with the Foil. If your braking technique is good then you shouldn't have any issue with the Assaults in Mallorca as a few of our club guys did the descents on Chinese clinchers without issue (I use tubs). It may be cheaper to rent a set when you're out there if you're worried.
  • Grill
    Probably too big but a fantastic frame.