Should I be able to turn my spacers

Alpina007
Alpina007 Posts: 106
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Morning,

I am able to turn the two spacers that are fitted under my stem on my road bike. My attention was brought to the fact after riding on a fairly rough road surface and I heard them rattling a bit. Is this normal?

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Its no problem at all - they aren't under compression - they just sit there supporting the stem.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Its no problem at all - they aren't under compression - they just sit there supporting the stem.
    Hmm ... not sure that's absolutely correct.

The way a stem is fitted is that the top cap is tensioned down so that the headset bearings are under some compression - but not so much that it's notchy. The stem is then tightened up against the steerer.

Now, I know the compression isn't huge and in theory you would be able to turn the spacers, but they shouldn't rattle.

I would think the next course of action would be to get off the bike, apply the front bike and rock the bike forwards, the steerer shouldn't move/angle forwards/click, if it does then you need to set up the compression correctly.

FWIW, none of my spacers on any of my bikes, either above or below the stem can be rotated by hand.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,164
    ^If the spacers are loose, what's holding the bearings, compression ring and cover in place?

Edit - directed at Mattfalle
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,891
    Surely they're under a bit of compression as that's what keeps the headset bearings loaded when you tighten up the stem cap bolt.
    If you hold the front brake and rock the bike back and forth, can you feel play in the bearings. Make sure you knoiw what you're doing before tightening anything up - the stem cap bolt shouldn't be screwed down too tightly.
  • Stevie_gee
    Stevie_gee Posts: 44
    sounds like the stem has been tightened before the top cap - the headset may not be under enough compression.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Agree on second read - if they rattle then have a look at the compression, however I''ve never seen that. Rotate yes by hand, not finger.

But as above, spacers just there - the amount you are compressing a correctly functioning headset is tiny. Unless you're a masher.

The post related to loose spacers, not rocking/loose etc headset that would entail its own kettle of fish.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I sorted out a loose headset the other day. It's a job I hadn't done before, and I'd struggled with written instructions before (because I'm stupid when it comes to bike maintenance, ok?) but found this video incredibly helpful:

http://roadcyclinguk.com/how-to/techniq ... adset.html
  • slowbike
    The post related to loose spacers, not rocking/loose etc headset that would entail its own kettle of fish.

But would rattling spacers not alert you to the fact that the headset compression may well be too slack and should be checked?
  • littledove44
    littledove44 Posts: 871
    My top cap is just a push fit. No screw or anything. The headset is tightened independently.
  • slowbike
    My top cap is just a push fit. No screw or anything. The headset is tightened independently.
    Interesting - which bike and how is it tightened?
  • Alpina007
    Alpina007 Posts: 106
    I did the front brake and rock the bike and the whole thing was loose. Slackened the stem and tightened the top bolt by a quarter of a turn. Thats seemed to have done the trick. Many thanks guys
  • lapavoni10
    lapavoni10 Posts: 146
    Is it your Time frame? Does it have a locking headset (like the old Vitus992 etc)? Maybe the headset locks independant of the stem loading the headset?
  • littledove44
    littledove44 Posts: 871
    lapavoni10 wrote:
    Is it your Time frame? Does it have a locking headset (like the old Vitus992 etc)? Maybe the headset locks independant of the stem loading the headset?
    Yes it is in the Time frame.

a422ada3de6a05a3627f9050be9f8527.jpg
  • lapavoni10
    Bit of research suggests you should have two pins to insert into the holes in the topcap to adjust it? So I think you may have two issues:

1. adjust the headset to take out the play.
    2. load the stem down onto the adjusted headset to stop your spacers rattling
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,180
    ^^^ two pins

presumably these ones...

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12971877
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • slowbike
    lapavoni10 wrote:
    Bit of research suggests you should have two pins to insert into the holes in the topcap to adjust it? So I think you may have two issues:

1. adjust the headset to take out the play.
    2. load the stem down onto the adjusted headset to stop your spacers rattling

Littledove44 isn't the OP ... I don't think it's him with the rattling spacers ... but it might help him anyway :)
  • lapavoni10
    Sorry 'bout that...me got confused innit!
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    the Canyon CF SL I rented in Majorca last week also had a headset that tightened using a cap below the stem.

Makes it very easy to change stems (for hire bikes) as you just lift the stems on and off, no headset to readjust.

But even then, the spacers should no way rattle.