Ultegra 6800 chainset on a 6700 groupset

Mr_K_Dilkington
Mr_K_Dilkington Posts: 22
edited June 2014 in Workshop
A few questions

I need to change my chainset as I have bought a Stages Power Meter which is a different length to my current cranks (reason for this is that I was in the US with an opportunity to but a Stages on the cheap, but it was a size up from my current cranks and a 6800 not a 6700 as my current groupset is).

If I replaced the current 6700 chainset with the 6800, would I need to replace the chain or the bottom bracket or will the 6700 be fine?

What tools do I need to change the chainset? Is it just the park tool with wrench and bb removal as well as an adjustable, or do I need anything else?

Comments

• Sorry for the bump - anyone know the answers to these questions?
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    A few questions

I need to change my chainset as I have bought a Stages Power Meter which is a different length to my current cranks (reason for this is that I was in the US with an opportunity to but a Stages on the cheap, but it was a size up from my current cranks and a 6800 not a 6700 as my current groupset is).

If I replaced the current 6700 chainset with the 6800, would I need to replace the chain or the bottom bracket or will the 6700 be fine?

What tools do I need to change the chainset? Is it just the park tool with wrench and bb removal as well as an adjustable, or do I need anything else?

It will work fine if you just swap it.

If you're a weight weenie, then you may consider changing the bottom bracket for the 6800 one, though, because you save 14g for about £25, which is a relatively good £/g.

I'm sure that a google search will tell you how to remove and install a bottom bracket.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I have a 6800 chainset with a 7900 BB, everything else is 6600. The 6800 chainset would have worked fine with the 6600 BB.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Do you need to change the bottom bracket - No ... but if you do, you'll need a suitable bottom bracket removal tool - guessing that it's Hollowtech II then you'll need a tool like this:
    18395-131011094653891847858.jpg

But before you get there you'll need to remove the crankset - iirc a 5mm allen key, a small flat blade screwdriver and one of these:
    TL07709_3-500x500.jpg

and watch a simple video on how to do it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCDcJ1W9Doo