Fitting tapered forks

steben
steben Posts: 24
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, has anyone on here fit tapered forks when they originally had a straight steerer ? I have noticed hope are doing external bearing cups in an inch and a half and as long as the taper fits inside the head tube I can't see a problem. The bike is an orange 5 2007 and the reason I am asking is there seems more tapered for sale second hand ! What do you think? Cheers
Orange 5 Pro
Orange P7
Scott S40

Comments

• steben
    Hi guys, has anyone on here fit tapered forks when they originally had a straight steerer ? I have noticed hope are doing external bearing cups in an inch and a half and as long as the taper fits inside the head tube I can't see a problem. The bike is an orange 5 2007 and the reason I am asking is there seems more tapered for sale second hand ! What do you think? Cheers
    Orange 5 Pro
    Orange P7
    Scott S40
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    What you need to know is if your frame will fit that type of headset. It will usually need to have a headtube that will take either a semi-integrated (zero stack) or integrated lower cup. If your frame does have that compatibility I can't see any reason why not to get a tapered fork if that's all you can find.
  • Orange 5's were only compatible with tapered steered from 2010 onwards.

You need a big enough headtube in the 1st place.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Sort of, that's the point, you can do it in a straight 1.125" headtube, as long as the lower bearing is a 44mm integrated or internal/zero stack. However as the 5 has an external headset it won't work here.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    No, not on that bike. For it to work you need a straight 44mm headtube, which the old 5 doesn't have.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Was one thread not enough?
  • steben
    Thanks for the replies guys , the hope external bearings need a 44 mm seat which is wider than my head tube, just measured it and it's 41 mm ! Oh well . Don't know why there was 2 posts, one click too many somewhere probably !
    Orange 5 Pro
    Orange P7
    Scott S40