How best to spend a grand???

gotwood25
gotwood25 Posts: 314
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Ok, so started a new job and want to take advantage of their cycle to work scheme. I have been pondering for a week or so on how best to spend the money and too'd and fro'd between a decent bad weather/commuter, a power meter or a not so good bike and a few bits like a Garmin.

The way I see it I have the following options.

1. A new 1K road bike (please any suggestions as to what is decent, looking at Ribble and Dolan for best bang for buck).
2. Stages power meter and maybe some clothing.
3. Scott Speedster 60 or similar (£499) + Garmin 1000

I currently have a Scott Foil 15 and an awful Trek something or other which I hate riding and generally end up using the Foil for commutes and foul weather which I would prefer not to. However improving also appeals to me and been told a power meter is a great way to achieve this.

What to do, what to do??? Any thoughts and views greatly appreciated.

Comments

• frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    I think you can only spend £100 on accessories/components.
  • gotwood25
    frisbee wrote:

I have a shop that will put anything through as 'a bike' :D
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    frisbee wrote:

Really? That is ridiculous, given that it is supposed to get people into cycling to work, and you can't get a decent helmet lock and lights for that much, let alone clothes as well.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • jp1970
    jp1970 Posts: 134
    8) Drugs and hookers
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    jp1970 wrote:
    8) Drugs and hookers

this ^^^ then waste the rest! :D
  • gotwood25
    Hahaha loving the advice guys, if only they took CycleScheme vouchers! :-)
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    jp1970 wrote:
    8) Drugs and hookers

this ^^^ then waste the rest! :D

Why would there be any left :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    £1000 should cover the cost of Skype premium for a couple of months, economy plane ticket from Irkutsk and a local registry office and still leave enough change for a trip to Halfords.

http://www.volgagirl.com/
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    gotwood25 wrote:
    Ok, so started a new job and want to take advantage of their cycle to work scheme. I have been pondering for a week or so on how best to spend the money and too'd and fro'd between a decent bad weather/commuter, a power meter or a not so good bike and a few bits like a Garmin.

The way I see it I have the following options.

1. A new 1K road bike (please any suggestions as to what is decent, looking at Ribble and Dolan for best bang for buck).
    2. Stages power meter and maybe some clothing.
    3. Scott Speedster 60 or similar (£499) + Garmin 1000

I currently have a Scott Foil 15 and an awful Trek something or other which I hate riding and generally end up using the Foil for commutes and foul weather which I would prefer not to. However improving also appeals to me and been told a power meter is a great way to achieve this.

What to do, what to do??? Any thoughts and views greatly appreciated.

Just to get this back on track ...

It depends what you mean by 'improve' but you don't need a power meter to improve, unless you're fairly well along in your training anyway (which by you post I'm guessing you're not). You'll improve by riding.

My suggestion would be to buy the best bike you can for the money, allowing something for the essential kit - lock, lights, clothing etc. Also, don't let buying a high-end Garmin eat into your bike budget. It depends what you want it for, but a 200 or 500 should be fine to start with unless you really need maps. The 200 and 500 can be had very cheaply now, including on eBay.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • gotwood25
    wandsworth wrote:

It depends what you mean by 'improve' but you don't need a power meter to improve, unless you're fairly well along in your training anyway (which by you post I'm guessing you're not). You'll improve by riding.

My suggestion would be to buy the best bike you can for the money, allowing something for the essential kit - lock, lights, clothing etc. Also, don't let buying a high-end Garmin eat into your bike budget. It depends what you want it for, but a 200 or 500 should be fine to start with unless you really need maps. The 200 and 500 can be had very cheaply now, including on eBay.

I put in a decent amount of training over the Winter, setting up a rig in the garage and signing up to Trainer Road. Raised my FTP from 218 to 260 and got my weight down so that I am nudging FTP/kg is nudging 4 (I know not massive numbers but I think shows decent progress in a relatively short period of time).

When I am out on the road I tend to train by HR although this isn't terribly reliable and also no good for tracking progress which is something I really would like to do out on the road as well as on the turbo... as who wants to be on a turbo in the summer, certainly not me.

So while that is my argument for a power meter the against is I don't really have a decent Winter bike. The one I do have is an absolute wreck and I hate it, then I end up taking my Foil subsequently spending hours cleaning it and regretting the damage I have done to her lovely matte finish.

So, what to do, what to do. I really am torn.
  • wandsworth
    gotwood25 wrote:
    wandsworth wrote:

I put in a decent amount of training over the Winter, setting up a rig in the garage and signing up to Trainer Road. Raised my FTP from 218 to 260 and got my weight down so that I am nudging FTP/kg is nudging 4 (I know not massive numbers but I think shows decent progress in a relatively short period of time).

When I am out on the road I tend to train by HR although this isn't terribly reliable and also no good for tracking progress which is something I really would like to do out on the road as well as on the turbo... as who wants to be on a turbo in the summer, certainly not me.

So while that is my argument for a power meter the against is I don't really have a decent Winter bike. The one I do have is an absolute wreck and I hate it, then I end up taking my Foil subsequently spending hours cleaning it and regretting the damage I have done to her lovely matte finish.

So, what to do, what to do. I really am torn.

Sorry, didn't mean to judge how much training you've done or not. I'd still go for the best bike you can get though, rather than a lesser bike plus power meter and Garmin 1000. There was discussion in a separate thread recently about incremental improvements as bikes become more expensive and I reckon that as you get up from £500-ish towards £1000 you're seeing some pretty substantial improvements in the bikes that are available to you.
    Shut up, knees!

• w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Ah ok, makes a bit more sense now.
    I have recently purchased a Genesis Day One Disc single speed bike. This is to become my winter / trainer bike. It's a relatively heavy bike, but I wanted a bike that I can use all winter, so disc brakes was important, but I also wanted something that's decent fun and I can use for the odd non road route.
    I take it out every now and then now when doing a smaller route (30 miles). My wife also rides so when we ride together I get a work out on the single speed as well.
    For training a single speed may be a useful tool for you? I would definitely be looking at a winter bike with disc brakes at the least, preferably one that can take a 28 (minimum) tyre and still fit mud guards. But obviously your needs may vary.
  • gotwood25
    Wandsworth, I took your advice and have just bought a Ribble Sportive Azzuro with 105. Reckon that is just about the best bike I could have got with the money.

Will try and sneak a power meter through on the credit card when the Mrs isn't looking :-)
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    frisbee wrote:

Really? That is ridiculous, given that it is supposed to get people into cycling to work, and you can't get a decent helmet lock and lights for that much, let alone clothes as well.

Don't start! :roll:
  • Gotwood25 - agree with your choice to buy a bike for winter riding and keep your Foil 15 for the better weather. Generally though, the first and best upgrade you can make for a quality bike like you have is to get some good wheels, better than the stock wheels that come with the bike. You may have already done that but for a grand you can buy a decent all-carbon or carbon-alloy all-rounder (that isn't a Zipp). I picked a 'best value' and 'best alternative' in my recent review of a dozen and a half all-rounders (30mm-45mm deep, 1500g+/-, 23mm+/- wide) that can be had now for about a grand. http://intheknowcycling.com/2014/04/29/ ... ng-wheels/

While I love the Stages power meter (and I'm reviewing power meters now), I'd go with a wheel upgrade first. Steve
  • gotwood25
    I have some deep section carbon tubs which are my 'good weather wheels' for my good weather bike :-)

I agree though, the difference in riding those to the stock wheels (even though the Syncros ones are half decent) is quite sizeable.
  • wandsworth
    gotwood25 wrote:
    Wandsworth, I took your advice and have just bought a Ribble Sportive Azzuro with 105. Reckon that is just about the best bike I could have got with the money.

Will try and sneak a power meter through on the credit card when the Mrs isn't looking :-)

Nice! Enjoy it.
    Shut up, knees!