turbo trainer advice

Northern_Monkey13
Northern_Monkey13 Posts: 79
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Just after some advice i go out every sun morn and get about 30-35 miles in on various surfaces but im struggling to get my fitness up as i cant get out in the week due to 2 young kids and wife being a nurse and working shifts.
what would people recommend to do and use?

regards
chris

Comments

• tezboy1234
    tezboy1234 Posts: 132
    Go on wiggle. There's a trainer on there for sale, 135 quid i think? If you like it and use it enough, theres upgrades for it which you can purchase. You can also see reviews of it on youtube.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There's loads of turbo trainers on ebay. I got one for £40 when I mashed my shoulder and couldn't ride.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,086
    I use rollers, as they keep me more entertained
  • tezboy1234
    tezboy1234 Posts: 132
    That's what i meant, sorry. Rollers, but you can fold it up i think.
  • Xommul
    Xommul Posts: 251
    Buy the best trainer you can afford, more realistic feel, better resistance settings and much quieter esp with young kids.

If you are on a mtb get a slick tyre and stick it on.

Then do intervals for a fast improvement in fitness but give it everything don't mess around. For the high intervals you want to be 8/9 out of 10 and the low intervals 3/4 out of 10 for a perceived effort.

Start of with 30secs on 2 mins off, then build up with longer reps and less rest.

Good luck
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
    Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
    Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er
  • What would u say is a reasonable price to pay for one as there's so many to choose from?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Dont buy a cheap one with no resistance - they just dont work with mtb gears - the one I got you can spin up to a vaguely resistant gear in big ring front and 11 at the back but its never going to make you that much stronger - definitely get one with variable resistance at the bars - Mine was the base cycleops one - they are solid and stable - just go up the rankings.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yep, Tacx are good. I'd buy second hand though as Rockmonkey said - loads of people buy them, realise how god awful they are and sell them.

Rollers are more involving for steady state, but you can't really turn yourself inside out as easily, as you've got to vaguely concentrate on not falling off. I can heartily recommend TrainerRoad software to make the whole process more interesting, check before you buy that your turbo is compatible.

If you're going to do intervals at least consider the point, don't just do random intervals like Xommul says - think what you want to achieve, and target appropriately. Or if you have TrainerRoad use the sessions you fancy to suit.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Do all turbo trainers take all wheel sizes?
  • njee20
    No, most are compatible, but you may struggle if you're running something 'odd'.

You'll want to use a slick too, a knobbly tyre will be noisy, it'll slip and it'll wear in no time.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Bolt through rear hubs are out I believe you need (or at least with the one I have) a 135mm QR
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Ferrals
    Ta, am keeping an eye out for a Cheapo on ebay, although having just signed up to a gym it will have to be really cheap!! Got 27.5 wheels though but hopefully will be ok it is qr
  • Ferrals
    A couple of cheapos ending soon on ebay, how do I know if they will fit 650b, as they are a few years old I guess that wheel size wasn't popular then so they may not. It looks like the resistance bit is just adjustable though? So they should?
  • njee20
    Basically yes. The issue you'll have with 650b is finding a decent slick.
  • Ferrals
    Thanks, bloody computer crashed just as I was increasing my bid so someone got one of those fancy cycleops ones for 40quid. Will keep my eye out for more though