PM System - I know it's been reported

navrig2
navrig2 Posts: 1,833
The failure of the PM System is in danger of causing a melt down in the Classifieds area. If it goes too far you will have people falling out all over the place.

For a commercial site (remember all those adverts) the responsiveness of the Bike Radar IT people is woeful. In a real situation the IT would be looking for new jobs if they took this lonk to fix things.

Come on guys get the fingers out.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Normally, I'd agree - but don't forget the whole BR team is probably in the middle of some kind of employment transfer process at the moment, after the recent sale.
  • navrig2
    Imposter wrote:
    Normally, I'd agree - but don't forget the whole BR team is probably in the middle of some kind of employment transfer process at the moment, after the recent sale.

I appreciate that but this is not the first time a business is sold but business continues as normal.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

I appreciate that but this is not the first time a business is sold but business continues as normal.

But business is continuing as normal - nothing gets fixed for ages, then when it does, it breaks again... ;)
  • navrig2
    Imposter wrote:
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

But business is continuing as normal - nothing gets fixed for ages, then when it does, it breaks again... ;)

Touche!

My main point is that the Classifieds rely heavily on reputation and trust plus some degree of modding. Currently the trust and reputation bit is hanging by a thread (pardon the pun) simply because you cannot readily check reputations as the search facility is bust and you cannot create a record of communication with the seller/buyer because the PM system is bust. The only way to do this is by posting your email address and, I believe, we are discouraged from doing that. Similarly how do you communicate postal addresses without email or sticking them on the public forum.

All in all if they don't get the figer out it will implode.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    It won't implode, people will move elsewhere.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • navrig2
    gabriel959 wrote:
    It won't implode, people will move elsewhere.

That's what I mean really. Probably should have been more explicit.

If you move elsewhere to trade then you have to stay there to build up that trust and reputation and hence BR will lose out overall.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    STW is generally better for advertising anyway, this could just seal BR's classifieds section fate though (MTB only!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    People can post their email addresses, simples. I did that and sold my 3 GSC10s easily without use of the PM system.

I don't see its a big problem at all.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • naylor343
    naylor343 Posts: 61
    The problem is, most can't even place an ad, and they are the ones lucky enough to be able to log on at all.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    drlodge wrote:
    People can post their email addresses, simples. I did that and sold my 3 GSC10s easily without use of the PM system.

Well, I do, I can't even place ads.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • navrig2
    drlodge wrote:

Not sure about that. You advertised on Thursdya last week. I used the PM system and the search function late Wed afternoon to communicate with a seller and check out the feedback forum for any reputational issues. He was clean so we concluded a deal on Wed early evening. If that item was for sale today I wouldn't buy because I couldn't check to see if he has a good past selling history as the search system is down. The feedback forum is quote active so posts disappear down the list quickly.

How do you now that your buyers didn't check for your history?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Fair enough, it does mean you can't makes searches. I didn't have history on selling stuff here so a search wouldn't have helped much.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava