Rick Mayall

crispybug2
crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
edited June 2014 in The cake stop
Just announced that he's died aged just 56.

Comments

• zanelad
    zanelad Posts: 269
    Very sad. 56 is no age either, say's he who's also 56. :(

I'll miss him, Flasheart, Alan B'stard et al.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Flash by name flash by nature
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    Not funny
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Very sorry to hear of his death. I always found him funny and I still rate his Kevin Turvey as ahead of his time.

I'll miss his anarchic characters.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    "This house will become a shrine... And punks and skins and Rastas will all gather round and all hold their hands in sorrow for their fallen leader! And all the grown-ups will say, "But why are the kids crying?" And the kids will say, "Haven't you heard? Rik is dead! The People's Poet is dead! And then one particularly sensitive and articulate teenager will say, "Why kids, do you understand nothing? How can Rik be dead when we still have his poems?" Then another kid will say... "

RIP.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Very sad news. He was with out doubt one of the leading lights in the alternative comedy scene of the 80s and beyond.

Flashheart is Dead. Long Live Flashheart.

tumblr_mgm3keb8nU1qbzm56o2_250.gif
  • :cry:
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    "Captain Darling? Funny name for a guy, isn't it? Last person I called darling was pregnant 20 seconds later."

Squadron Commander Flasheart.

The legend that was and still is Rik Mayall.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Really sad news.
    Always enjoyed seeing him. So many laughs.

I feel that all the comments are genuine for Rick Mayall.
    None of the jumping on bandwagon , oh aren't I great for liking him/her you get with a lot of high brow passings.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Big fan of all bis work.

I remember seeing The Bottom show live in London, and there were bits that went off script and improvised, that were hilarious and clever.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,125
    sigh

sad news

rip rik
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    10366041_696563317071785_3788686211098732075_n.png
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Good picture, sums up Edmondsons 'Selfish Bastard' joke very well.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27770266

Was thinking of the 'Gasman' episode the other day for some reason, it's a good reason as any now to watch it again.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,081
    Will be missed :(
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Lucan2 wrote:
    Not funny

No he wasn't, was he?
  • Mark_P
    Mark_P Posts: 51
    10366041_696563317071785_3788686211098732075_n.png

Well, that brought a tear to my eye. :(
  • AlexMac1973
    AlexMac1973 Posts: 406
    A true comedian, the likes of his humour may never be brought to our screens ever again.

One of my favourites was the episode of Bottom where they bet everything in a three legged blind horse called Sad Ken. I'm sure we've all got a favourite of our own.

:(
    Scott S40 Speedster
    Dialled Stay Strong MX20R

I no longer live in an ivory tower, these days it's vintage white :shock:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    One of my favourite all time comedians.

The Young Ones episode "Bambi" is pure comic genius. 'Err, Vyv, can you actually, like, kill yourself with laxative pills?' :lol:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Hopefully they dig Filthy, Rich and Catflap out of the archives. They did one series which ended with 'and a new series will be shown in the Autumn' and I've never seen it since. One of my favourite comic actors having grown up with The Young Ones etc.
  • martinperry
    martinperry Posts: 127
    Daz555 wrote:
    "This house will become a shrine... And punks and skins and Rastas will all gather round and all hold their hands in sorrow for their fallen leader! And all the grown-ups will say, "But why are the kids crying?" And the kids will say, "Haven't you heard? Rik is dead! The People's Poet is dead! And then one particularly sensitive and articulate teenager will say, "Why kids, do you understand nothing? How can Rik be dead when we still have his poems?" Then another kid will say... "

RIP.
    Nailed it!
    Forgotten that line
    A great talent
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    Just has to be watched again.

Bambi part 1
    Bambi part 2
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Thought a lot of his stuff was rubbish, however I doubt there has ever been anything better on TV than his telling of George's Marvellous Medicine on Jackanory.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Flasheart and Slackbladder what a truly great episode
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Thought a lot of his stuff was rubbish, however I doubt there has ever been anything better on TV than his telling of George's Marvellous Medicine on Jackanory.

There isn't much on tv that has had me crying with laughter, but I remember some of his stuff did in "Bottom".

And Georges Marvellous Medicine was one of those episodes of Jackanory which was far too good for kids.

The older I get, the better I was.

• rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Just has to be watched again.

Bambi part 1
    Bambi part 2

:mrgreen:

Best episode !
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    Let's not forget his more serious roles:

http://youtu.be/Ap93iAmPfRU
    tick - tick - tick
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    He had a real presence about him. Nobody could have made so much of the roles he was given. A joy to watch.

RIP Rik
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    Such fondness for the guy. I genuinely got upset. I grew up watching Bottom and Blackadder and they were the best thing since sliced bread. reading the previous posts and smiling whenever it helps recall a scene. I heard the news after cycling home and I immediately texted my sister who then immediately posted a Bottom video clip from 'Gasman'. I love the episode 'Terror' when eddie makes exploding carrots and Ritchie says they will go well with his Sprouts Mexicane.
    Such great memories. Thanks Rik
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014