Broken Nipple

caadybrompton
caadybrompton Posts: 47
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Bit of a strange one.
Haven't been out on the bike for over a month. Was getting it set for a ride this weekend when I discovered one of the spokes had broke on the DS.
On further inspection it was the nipple itself which had broke and not the spoke.
I know from looking around online it seems this maybe due to the spoke being too short?
I've attached a picture and wondered if some one could cast their eye over it.

Also is it possible just to drop in a new spoke or would the wheel need a full new set of spokes, due to possible tension issues ?
Also what i find strange is the bike has been out , so is it possible the nipple could break while being stationary.
The wheel - 3T accelero 60 - 2 cross DS Radial NDS CX-Ray

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,180
    looks like an alloy nipple, if the spoke is a bit short may make it more prone to a failure as the load isn't spread over the full length

even if unridden it's still under tension, once a crack has started, it'll grow over time and eventually fail

begs the question how may of the others are the same/similar, you can check by taking off the rim tape and looking, but i'd be tempted to get it rebuilt with nice brass ones
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Thanks sungod.
    Yes alloy nipple. Have taken rim tape off already to get broken nipple/spoke out. Problem is can't tell if others are effected as they are sat in the rim. It's a torque nipple. Have been Condor,Bespoke and LMNH this morning none have these nipples.
    The Atom torque nipples are the closest looking but they say they can only be used with their rims.
    Also need to get hold of some CX Ray's 294mm straight pull as none of the shops had any either.