best spec??

bagz3
bagz3 Posts: 253
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-52 ... 93188.html

Coming from a road biking background here, so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

But which would be considered the better spec? Rockrider 520 or Carrera Kraken?

What would you choose??

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not much in it, both are pretty good for the money with similar spec. Depends whether you prefer Shimano or Sram bits?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Kraken.

Same forks but the Kraken is more trail biased with 120mm travel to 100 on the RR, slightly better drivetrain but the RR has slightly better brakes although there isn't much in it.

What usage do you envisage? If it's very much XC the RR may be the better option, for more trail centre stuff the Kraken.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bagz3
    Originally i'll be using for just canal and country paths with the missus, but then i'll be looking to take it up a local trail centre to see if i get the bug before maybe upgrading.

I know both are entry level bikes, but in terms of branding, is one a more "better to be seen on" bike than the other??
  • The Rookie
    no-one on here gives a stuff about branding, its just not important (in fact entry level bikes from the big name brands are almost universally pants), but if it really matters they are much of a muchness anyway!

The Kraken will feel more at home of the two at trail centres as the head angle is a little slacker and it has the longer travel forks.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bagz3
    Cheers, you've been a big help.

Gonna nip out now hopefully buy one. :D
  • risky
    risky Posts: 17
    Have you looked at the Voodoo Bantu?
  • bagz3
    I have looked at the Bantu, but im not overly keen on the colour tbh.....
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Worst reason ever to choose a bike, especially at into level.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Festerfeet
    Festerfeet Posts: 90
    I personally agree with CD but if the OP doesn't like the colour he may not want to ride it as much
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Bloody lucky you can't see it when you ride it then.
  • The Rookie
    The Bantu and Hoodoo are both better than the Kraken.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Aren't all bikes brown 5 minutes in to a ride anyway?
  • Harvister
    Harvister Posts: 5
    Make sure they put the right forks on. They put forks with no lockout on my Vulcan today. Had to take it back. The display model Kraken had wrong forks on too.
  • The Rookie
    That will not be Halfords but Merida who assemble the bikes of course.....not that the lockout does anything you really want anyway!
  • clydefrog
    clydefrog Posts: 162
    I'd definitely get the Bantu over the kraken, I'm surprised they are even still selling these, both of these bikes were out when I bought my Boardman HT Comp 2 years ago and they were the other bikes I was looking at (in the end it was between the boardman and the Carrera Fury but that is £100 more than the ones you're looking at). The Bantu is a bit heavier but it's got an air fork and I don't really know but I reckon the shimano brakes are better than the Clarks on the Kraken. Both these bikes used to be about £500 I think too.

As others have said don't worry about brands, it's true the big brand bikes at these prices even up to around £600 have cheaper, lower quality components than Carrera/Boardman/Voodoo/BTwin/Pinnacles at the same price (which still have good quality frames). For example you'll see it's probably impossible to find a big brand MTB with an air fork for under around £700, they all still have stuff like Suntour XCRs. You might start to get - in the case of shimano components - Deore and above on them at £600-£700, but anything less and it's generally all Alivio and Acera.
  • The Rookie
    Bantu is coil fork......but its still better than the Kraken fork.
  • clydefrog
    It says air on the website:
    Forks: 120mm Suntour Raidon air suspension fork with lockout

and it has that fork on the bike in the photo.
  • The Rookie
    Last time I looked they were coils, but they keep changing so maybe it is back to air, or maybe the website is wrong!
  • clydefrog
    Hmm, I thought the Raidons were always air, they were back when I was choosing a bike anyways 2 years ago.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    bagz3 wrote:
    I know both are entry level bikes, but in terms of branding, is one a more "better to be seen on" bike than the other??
    bagz3 wrote:
    I have looked at the Bantu, but im not overly keen on the colour tbh.....

You picked the wrong pastime if you're worried about what you look like. The only activity that will make you look sillier than mountain biking is scuba diving.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607