Le Tour - Stage 3 - Dilemma

corriebee1
corriebee1 Posts: 390
edited June 2014 in Commuting chat
I've been asked if i'd like to ride the route in advance with some people, who i think are fairly serious cyclists. I appreciate that it may not be the most picturesque of affairs as I'm expecting some largish A roads with traffic whizzing past. However, i do like the idea of riding it and it's on a work day ("networking") too!

I think the guys doing it are only expecting to go as far as Epping Forest, as no-one seems particularly keen to go right into London. That seems to be around 70-80 miles from what i can see. The pace will be "reasonably conversational" at 16-17 mph average.

Frankly, I'm wondering whether I'll have the fitness to do it. I have no idea how much climbing is involved (all i can see it's that it's comparatively flat for the pro's!). I completed a 60 mile ride at a similar pace over the weekend with about 3,000 ft of climbing and that was me on my limit really. I'm commuting around 75 miles a week at the moment (over 3 days) and I think i'd be fine with 70 miles without too much climbing, particularly in a bunch.

From what i can see on the attached link, this really is a flat stage! Can anyone who knows more about the area/cycling/the tour confirm my understanding? Should i give it a go?!

http://letour.yorkshire.com/stage-3/map

Thanks!

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited June 2014
    Why not? What have you got to lose? It's some really lovely cycling country you'd be going through and if you never test yourself you'll never find out what you can do.*

*Admittedly, this is from someone who did Stage 1 yesterday and can now barely walk.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    edited June 2014
    Do it, you will surprise yourself.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Would expect you'll be fine. Plot the route on Strava or another site
    http://www.strava.com/routes/new
    Then it'll tell you any big climbs and the general elevation.
    If you're doing 75 miles a week normally then maybe just take a day or two off commuting before the ride so that you've got fresh legs, and take a few bits to nibble on the way. Wouldn't expect you'll have any problems though.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Besides, the challenge has been made. Once somebody has had the idea and spoken it, it cannot be undone and you cannot not do it. That's just how it is...........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I have some parts of it during club rides and a 25 TT... it is a busy road with articulated trucks and the like and IMO should be ridden in a single file most of the way. It is a decent road though and there are a few bumps which keep it interesting.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • corriebee1
    Thanks for the replies folks. And for the suggestion of Strava plotting it.

I've plotted what i think will be the section and it's 74 miles with 3,200 sq ft of climbing.

I've emailed confirmation that I'll be joining in. Eeek.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    corriebee1 wrote:

I've plotted what i think will be the section and it's 74 miles with 3,200 sq ft of climbing.

Are you cycling it or mowing it?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • corriebee1
    corriebee1 wrote:

Are you cycling it or mowing it?

Well spotted! Guess who works in commercial property?! :D
  • corriebee1
    So that was amazing!!

Rode 96 miles on Friday. Most of the stage 3 Tour de France route and then back up to Broxbourne from Epping Forrest. Absolutely loved it!!

5 days earlier I'd never ridden more than 40 miles.

Average speed for the whole ride was 17.9 mph, including the "procession" through Cambridge central at the start, so maybe a little faster than that for the ride proper. The route was quite picturesque in parts and a bit hairy in others (without the closed roads!). It wasn't very hilly (3,050 ft of climbing) and i felt fairly strong throughout.

Thanks for the encouragement to do it, and the MTFU messages!

Up for the next challenge now!
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    kudos, well done for just going for it!
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    now explain why you didnt do the extra 4 miles to make it a round 100?

well done though