Taking Bike Out Of Storage

gcwebbyuk
gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
We have just taken our MTBs out of the garage after 4 years of not being used.

The first thing we noticed was that the wheels would not spin, as if the calipers were stuck on the disks. Then I noticed that there was some fluid dribbling out of the lever when they were pulled. One set of brakes is Avid Juicy 5 SL and one is the Juicy 3.

The reason the bikes had been stored for so long is due to injury. I'm unable to do anything too physical, so don't want to get too stuck into a manual job on the bike. From the (admittedly poor) description, does this sound like a simple "home" fix, or something that should really be taken to a LBS? How much (roughly) could this cost - would it make more sense to just buy new brake-sets? Money isn't really a problem, but I don't want to invest too much into the bike, only to realise that my injury/condition prevents me from actually using it.

Would the forks (one pair of Fox F90RL and one Rock Shox Tora 302) also require servicing after this long in storage?

Comments

• mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    The problems you describe will need some attention by someone with a knowledge of hydraulic brakes. It could be a simple brake bleed (replacing the fluid and removing air) from the system, or it could also need new seals, either in the caliper or lever. Expect to pay around £40-50 +parts per bike at a shop.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or nice shiny new Deores from CRC for £35 an end.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • gcwebbyuk
    Yeah those M615s do look good value!

Silly question, will they work OK with the Avid rotors (currently with Juicy 3) and the Hope SP XC3 (currently with Juicy 5)?

What are Olives? Other than a food item...
  • cooldad
    Rotors will be fine, mounts need to be compatible.
    Olives are for sealing the hoses.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • gcwebbyuk
    Will that just be a case of buying the relevant adaptor for the frame/fork?

I take it the kit with the olives is worth getting?
  • cooldad
    Yes, you will probably need to shorten the hoses.
    Your adapters may or may not be fine - need to match the frame mounting (post or IS) and brake mounting (post).
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • gcwebbyuk
    Well I went against the idea of replacing the brakes straight away, and thought I would have some bleeding good fun with an Avid Bleed Kit.

All went well, apart from the loss of the bleed screw on the last of the 4 calipers which meant a quick trip to the LBS who luckily had a spare!

The brakes now work as they should - although I perhaps could have gone to town on filing the pads a little to take off the glazing - but the first few miles should help there. They are Superstar Sintered pads - they work well enough at the moment though - as we won't be going mad.

The downside is a closer look at my bike showed a few signs of corrosion. Are these signs anything I should be wary of?
    Fox F90r forks
    IMAG0025_zps6c6e6a1e.jpg

IMAG0024_zpsc86a3c62.jpg

Chainstay - the only corrosion on the frame. The frame is aluminium, which I didn't think would actually corode?
    IMAG0026_zps5654cf76.jpg

Brake Lever - the Juicy 3s on my wife's bike are showing similar corrosion.
    IMAG0027_zpsd789e8c1.jpg