Changing bottom bracket type

deer_dance
deer_dance Posts: 44
edited June 2014 in Workshop
I purchased a road bike last year (Moda Tempo 2013) which comes equipped with a cheap and nasty cartridge-type bottom bracket (Truvativ Power Spline).

Wondered if anyone can tell me what my options are in terms of upgrading.

Is the size/threading of the bottom bracket area of the frame standard and what (if any) types of bottom bracket could be fitted in there?

I understand the crankset would also need to be changed to match the new bottom bracket type.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Any crankset that uses the same thread size. So most of them.

See Parktools for the standards and you will see you have a BSA thread.( also known as English or MTB)

When going from an internal BB to an external bearing set up it is advised to get the BB shell faced.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • deer_dance
    nicklouse wrote:
    Any crankset that uses the same thread size. So most of them.

See Parktools for the standards and you will see you have a BSA thread.( also known as English or MTB)

When going from an internal BB to an external bearing set up it is advised to get the BB shell faced.

Thanks!
  • I made exactly the same change from Power Spline to Shimano Hollowtech 2 last year. I did it main cause I wanted to use a Shimano crankset I got 2nd hand but also cause I wasn't impressed by power Spline durability. My bike is a Specialized Secteur and Spesh Concept Store mechanic told me there was no need to have frame faced, so I didn't and about 2-3 k all weather miles later have had no problems so its not always necessary IME.
  • deer_dance
    I made exactly the same change from Power Spline to Shimano Hollowtech 2 last year. I did it main cause I wanted to use a Shimano crankset I got 2nd hand but also cause I wasn't impressed by power Spline durability. My bike is a Specialized Secteur and Spesh Concept Store mechanic told me there was no need to have frame faced, so I didn't and about 2-3 k all weather miles later have had no problems so its not always necessary IME.

Good to hear it sounds possible without too much grief.

What adjustments needed to be made following the change to a new crankset?

Presumably the chain rings would be slightly further out/inboard so the front derailleur would need adjusted? Did anything else need tweaked to accomodate?
  • When I did mine nothing at all needed adjusted because both cranksets were compacts - so height of FD was the same - and chainline (i.e in/outboard distance for FD) were the same with the power spline and the truvative crankset I originally had and the new 105 crankset with HT 2 BB I fitted. I you are changing double to double or compact to compact yours should be the same too.
  • deer_dance
    When I did mine nothing at all needed adjusted because both cranksets were compacts - so height of FD was the same - and chainline (i.e in/outboard distance for FD) were the same with the power spline and the truvative crankset I originally had and the new 105 crankset with HT 2 BB I fitted. I you are changing double to double or compact to compact yours should be the same too.

Yes would be switching from the existing SRAM Compact and was looking at putting a 105/Ultegra Compact on there.

Thanks, that's very helpful.
  • Should be exactly the same then as that's what I did , SRAM compact to 105 5750