Intense frames

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited June 2014 in MTB general
Are Intense's carbon frames "hand built with pride in the USA" or are they straight and properly put together?

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I thought the carbon ones were made in the Far East. Seen a headtube split on a Tracer 275 Carbon while a headset was being pressed in. Intense had absolutely no qualms about replacing it because it was out of tolerance. "Handmade by the Taiwanese and proudly quality-checked by Americans" perhaps.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Def made in the far east
  • rockmonkeysc
    It might be worth a try then. The aluminium frames are always crooked and always crack but are great to ride.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    My Tracer is fine

I've ridden Stiniog twice now without issue
  • rockmonkeysc
    Last weekend two riders went home early with broken frames. A Tracer 2 with a crack around the seat tube at the top tube connection, he was on his third front triangle in two years. And a M9 with four inch long crack in front of the shock mount, he was on his second front triangle in a year and third rear triangle.
    They are also well known for being crooked, replacing pivots often involves the use of a pry bar to make things line up.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Whhhat!? Surely intense are a really goof make I.e don't make bad frames. That must have been a coincidence last weekend
  • rockmonkeysc
    They certainly aren't the only cracked Intense frames I have seen. The old M3's actually ride better after they crack in the big lump in front of the shock mount! Look at any M3 and you will see a 4" crack either side of the frame.
    The Tracer 275 is a nice ride which is why I'm interested in the carbon version.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Intense are hardly a big name on the race circuit these days and any given day in Whistler Bike Park is not a big day for Intense bikes. Not ridden one but I have seen a snapped M9 in Morzine - Basically sheered clean through front triangle. The rider was walking home carrying it so I guess he was pretty lucky!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    There are a few privateer teams using M9's in the DH world cup.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Yeah, intense are pretty well known for building their frames up wonky/cracking. Seen a lot of 951s snapped at the head tube too. I'd never buy one. Shame, because they look beautiful, and by all accounts they ride well.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    From what I've heard the carbon Inetense's aren't so bad but I'd never even consider an alloy one due to the cracking and wonkyness. I've heard of one instance where they refused to replace a bent frame saying it was crash damage despite the fact a headset clearly hadn't even been fitted yet. Because of that I'd be wary of buying a carbon one even if they are ok, doesn't bode well for customer support. I'd be checking the price of new mech hangers as well, I remember some of them were ludicrously expensive (over £100 or something :shock: ).
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Yeah, hangers for the intense slopestyle were around £150 because they were integrated with the dropout and CNC machined from a massive block of billet... Stupid idea.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5