Lapierre pro race 729

damonlock
damonlock Posts: 170
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hay guys

Looking at getting a light weight 29er hardtail quite like the look of the lapierre pro race 729 anyone had any experience with them? Just wonna use it for some trail riding nothing to extreme

Cheers

Daymo

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Not a brand known for their XC bikes, but you can't go too far wrong with a 29er hardtail frankly.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    njee20 wrote:
    Not a brand known for their XC bikes, but you can't go too far wrong with a 29er hardtail frankly.
    Yes you can. Apollo, Trax and Singular 29ers are pretty bad. The Singular in particular.
  • njee20
    For any particular reason...? :roll:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    njee20 wrote:
    They are rubbish for 50 million foot gap jumps?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    njee20 wrote:

Heavy, crap geometry, poorly made.
  • njee20
    njee20 wrote:

Heavy, crap geometry, poorly made.

The Singular Swift is a comparable weight to the Cotic Solaris, and lighter than the Inbred 29er. Seem to be ridden very quickly (and a very long way) by a number of their riders - one who wins things like the Tour Divide, Iditabike and such, plus they've got a couple of bloody fast XC racers. Sure you know better though. I'll stick with my :roll:

Back OT, the 729 will be a perfectly decent bike. A better specced Canyon or Radon is cheaper, I think the Lapierre is a little overpriced, even something like the Superfly 9.8 is far cheaper, XT 2x10 rather than X1 1x11, but similar elsewhere.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Maybe it was a heavier build on the Swift I tried. It certainly felt heavy for a bike with no gears or suspension.
  • njee20
    It's a 2.3kg frame, but it's steel. They are heavy.

Perhaps I needed to qualify my original post then, as you've gone off rather tangentially:
    njee20 wrote:
    Not a brand known for their XC bikes, but you can't go too far wrong with most manufacturers race XC biased carbon 29er hardtails frankly.
  • rockmonkeysc
    POAH wrote:
    29ers are pretty bad. .

FTFY :lol:

No, they are very good for their intended purpose.
  • njee20
    It's interesting that after a few years of a mixture virtually all of the pro XC field has settled on 29ers, with only Nino Schurter on 650b.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    POAH wrote:
    29ers are pretty bad. .

FTFY :lol:

No, they are very good for their intended purpose.

yeah if you are into shaving your legs and wearing lycra they are perfect :|
  • rockmonkeysc
    If you want to cover big miles for minimal effort or do xc races they are perfect.
    The first two years of the UK Gravity Enduro series were won on 29ers.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Wait till they all see the 28inch wheels I've been developing - going to make me millions I tell you :lol:

I'd have though for xc race, unless you are short or very light, 29ers make sense.

However for trail riding as per the original post, and I hasten to add the modern concept of 'trail riding' is the weirdest thing I've come across since getting back into mtb, but accepting it as a marginally more extreme and technical, singletrack orientated, cross country riding, I wonder if 29er is as good as 27.5?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Depends on the bike.