Rear Brakes

warreng
warreng Posts: 535
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Haven't been on my MTB since before Xmas as I've been on the road bike training for various events. They're all over now so want to get back on the Heckler - I took it out of the shed and the rear wheel was seized solid - is was the brakes. So I took the pads out thinking that I'd be able to force the pistons back before putting the pads back in.

They wouldn't shift and I was concerned about damaging the whole unit - the pistons do move when the brakes are applied and they go back to the seized position.

I want to fix them myself rather than wait for the bike shop - why would they seize over the winter and what do I have to do to fix it? They're Avid Something or Others

Cheers
2015 Cervelo S3
2016 Santa Cruz 5010
2016 Genesis Croix de Fer

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Put the pads back in and use more force
  • warreng
    Rightio Chunkers - I'm going in
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • warreng
    Bike Shop it is
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • Did you try lubricating the pistons, I've had problems with my avids seizing/locking up.
    'I'll trek two please....!
    To HT or not to HT is the question...
  • warreng
    I'll try that

I push one piston in and the other comes out - the total distance between pistons never changes
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    System is overfilled then.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    The Rookie wrote:
    System is overfilled then.....

Dead on.

Unscrew the bleed port screw on the lever (T10 torx), push the pistons back, wipe up any fluid that comes out (corrosive, will eat your paint if left for too long :p), rescrew, ???, profit.

Use the bleed port screw on the lever rather than the caliper to better avoid introducing air to the system.