Indexing

dormer88
dormer88 Posts: 110
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Hi All,

Hoping you can help. Spent most of the evening trying to index my gears correctly.

I can shift up smoothly but its clunky when shifting down.

Have watched a few video's but I cannot seem to fix it.

I have full 105

Thanks

Comments

• Barbarossa
    Barbarossa Posts: 248
    How old are your cables? When did you last oil them?
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
  • dormer88
    Apologies, rear mech.

The bike is about 7 weeks old. Think it's stretch but it's still clunky even when tightening the rear.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,180
    it takes a while for the outer and ferrules to snug fully into place, as they do it results in a loss of tension (often assumed to be cable stretch, but it isn't)

if the axle/rear mech alignment is slightly off, it can become impossible to adjust for good shifting, two common causes are the rear wheel not quite seated, or the rear mech hanger being slightly bent (easily done)

check that the rear wheel is fully seated in the dropouts - stand on drive side of bike, lean over the saddle and put weight on it, release qr, tighten qr
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • dormer88
    Thanks Sungod.

The rear ferrule seems like is cross threaded as it only twists in maybe 2 turns.

I removed the rear wheel yesterday to clean and think you may be right with the re alignment.

It's due its free service from the LBS so hopefully will get sorted.

Thanks for your help
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Hope its not annoying, but ill post here instead of a new thread.

Ive recently changed my rear mech, straightened my hanger and changed cables. Still getting very loud and sloppy shifting. I'm using Campag Centaur 10 speed, no amount of fiddling seems to get rid of the noise, and ive watched a tonne of videos, any tips for me?
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group