Play in HTii crank

johngti
johngti Posts: 2,508
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Just put a tiagra hollowtech ii crank on my defy 1 and noticed that there's a small degree of side to side play in the crank. Looking closely, there's a very small gap on the non drive side between the bottom bracket and the crank arm. The arm is on as far as I can get it, bearings seem fine with no play and are properly pre-tensioned. Should there be a spacer or washer or two present? The defy 1 comes with the wider shell and a press fit bottom bracket.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sounds like you have not tensioned it correctly.

Undo the pinch bolts and add the missing tension to remove the gap. Then tighten the pinch bolts.

Remember undo them a bit at a time and tighten them the same way or you will round out the heads.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I can't increase the tension by hand any more. It's just past finger tight. I could stick an Allen key in I guess but I thought the tension shouldn't be too extreme
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    johngti,

Assuming you BB is a Shimano pressfit SM-BB91-41, then there isn't a spacer if you are using a double/compact HT II crankset.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 625426.pdf
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    johngti wrote:
    I can't increase the tension by hand any more. It's just past finger tight. I could stick an Allen key in I guess but I thought the tension shouldn't be too extreme
    Or hit the drive side in a bit more.

Rubber mallet time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Yup, 'light' tap with a rubber mallet on the non-drive crank will ensure that any play is removed ;-)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..