Stripped thread on front derailleur

brucey72
brucey72 Posts: 1,086
edited June 2014 in Workshop
The 'housing' for the front derailleur H Screw has stripped so I can no longer adjust the stop and as a result my chain keeps on overshooting when moving from the 34T to 50T chainring. It's definitely the housing as I tried a different screw and it wasn't catching either.

As a temporary measure I have wrapped some wire wool around the screw to create a thread and it's working but I'm off to France cycling in a few weeks and although I will probably spend most of my time in the small chainring I would like to fix it properly.............any suggestions apart from buying a new derailleur?

Thanks.

Comments

• mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    If the wire wool is working then how about trying some plumbers PTFE tape?

Other than that you'd need to re tap the thread or try a heli coil, bit for the price of a new FD you'd probably be easier buying a new one.
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    I did try the tape but it's a bit too thick so it looks like re-tapping is the way forward. Is it something a LBS can usually do?
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Yeah would have thought they'd be able to do that.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Just buy a new front mech. Cheaper and easier than to pay some one to bodge it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    +1

Front mech is a fairly cheap part and certainly not worth risking mucking up your hols.

Easy to fit once you've got the hang of it (worth acquiring) or about a tenner at your LBS.
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    Plus if your chain hasn't got a power link, you may need to split the chain and rejoin with a power link or equiv.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Or just unscrew the cage using the small screw that 99% of FDs have in there. No splitting, power linking etc.

To return to the OP - buy a new one in the sales, fit, set fire to old one.

You're going to have to take the old one off to get it tapped anyway, so its the same amount of effort and probably cost the same in the long run away.

Remember to set fire to the old one.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    How about seeing if you can use a screw of the next size up to retap the hole. Worth a try maybe?

All very well saying front mechs are cheap but screws are cheaper than front mechs and if nothing else is wrong with the mech then why waste money for the sake of it? That said, spares are always worth having so you could always fix the old mech and make it the spare.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    Buy a tap on ebay , not expensive and very handy. Ask around a few bike shops, My bike shop taps threads.
    Take all of 5 mins to sort out.