steering very stiff after fork install (?)

r3hxn
r3hxn Posts: 127
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

I have installed a new suspension fork on my frame with a used headset, followed various guides and steps to do this in the appropriate manner. Leaving the steerer tube a few mm short when putting the top cap on to allow for some compression ( quoted from a youtube video)

however, the steering is very very stiff and I am wondering why you might think this is? can the topcap be too tight, a problem with the headset or does it just need some wearing in?

many thanks in advanced.

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
Scott Scale - Custom mtb - Work in progress

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You did fit the crown race from the headset?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bailsofhay
    bailsofhay Posts: 191
    Was it rotating smoothly before you applied preload? Maybe a stupid question but did you transfer the crown race to the new forks?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How hard did you do up the top bolt? That preloads the bearings, too tight and you'll lock up the headset bearings.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • r3hxn
    yes on the crown race.

I tightened it hand tight, pretty tight but not too tight. Hard to give a reasonable definition, but I think I was far from giving it all my stength, I had made a mental note to return to several bolts when I had a torx wrench.

Lets say this was a case of the bearings being locked up, would this be a new headset job or do I have a chance to recover the situation?!

EDIT:

I took it all apart, cleaned up and re-lubed, put it back together and refrained from going quite as tight and it seems ok and smooth.
    one question though, the spacer that sits under the stem, if I don't go any tighter, I can rotate this with a small bit of force, previously I went tight enough so this didnt rotate - was that a mistake?

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    What spacer?

A headset spacer should be compressed by the stem which is pressed on by the top cap.

I have a feeling you are missing bits or have assembled it incorrectly.

What headset?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Certainly sounds like the original issue was too much preload, the spacer under the stem should be tight as it's under the preload force, but sometimes they will rotate with some effort.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • r3hxn
    nicklouse wrote:
    What spacer?

A headset spacer should be compressed by the stem which is pressed on by the top cap.

I have a feeling you are missing bits or have assembled it incorrectly.

What headset?

Just meant the spacer between the top of the headset and the stem , I think ok now though with the force applied.

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
  • r3hxn
    just to add, in case future readers look up this thread.

I went back and had a play around and found even a tightening the top cap only finger tight was applying too much pre-load and steering was going stiff, so I stopped before it got to this point, tightened the stem up so it didn't move/compress the bearings anymore and proceeded to tighten the top cap adequately.

My only question is, was this the right thing to do. When installing the whole thing, was it right to not tighten the stem until the very end, or was that my mistake.

thanks

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Once you've tightened the stem bolts, the top cap is superfluous - it is just to pre tension the bearings. Tightening it will likely strip the bolt. The stem keeps it all together.

Read Parktools.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • r3hxn
    cooldad wrote:
    Once you've tightened the stem bolts, the top cap is superfluous - it is just to pre tension the bearings. Tightening it will likely strip the bolt. The stem keeps it all together.

Read Parktools.

cheers.

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid