Are Deda stems shorter than others?

mitchgixer6
mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Quick question.

Anyone know if Deda stems measure up small? I was recently trying to get the fit between 2 bikes as close as possible. On measuring my 3T stem against my Deda (both 110mm) the Deda was noticeably smaller.

I today compared it to a Zipp one of the same length (110) and as you can see it's a different size too.

14385602623_ccedcb7cda_b.jpg

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Hmmm. I always find deda measure a touch longer!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • mitchgixer6
    I'm beginning to doubt myself now and think I actually vbought a 100mm Deda! On measuring it though it definitely measures 110mm bang on centre to centre. Does this mean it's actually a 100mm once you take intov account the 6 degree slope?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Are you measuring middle to middle through the middle of the stem, or along the top of the stem or the bottom? Different manufs measure in different ways...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • mitchgixer6
    Middle to middle along the top. Unfortunately there's no info on the Deda to tell me what size it's meant to be.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Quick question.

Anyone know if Deda stems measure up small? I was recently trying to get the fit between 2 bikes as close as possible. On measuring my 3T stem against my Deda (both 110mm) the Deda was noticeably smaller.

I today compared it to a Zipp one of the same length (110) and as you can see it's a different size too.

14385602623_ccedcb7cda_b.jpg

The way you have the two stems lined up against each other as though they're fitted along the same steerer tube and then viewing from the side will make the Deda stem appear shorter than the Zipp. Line them up again, only this time make the reference point the centre of the handlebar clamp (the joint line where the face plate screws in) instead.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I was bored, so did it for you. The Deda looks a couple of mm shorter. but not as much as you thought.

Stemcomparisoncopy_zpsffdc24cc.jpg
  • mitchgixer6
    Lol! :D

I'll try that tomorrow when I get the time.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    What are the angles on both stems? They do not look to be the same angle. This could be whats making one look longer than the other.
  • mitchgixer6
    They're both meant to be -6. As I say measuring them all in the same manner (including my 3T one) they're definitely measuring different lengths.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    They deffo do not look to be both 6° I would think that its the angle difference is making one look longer than the other. Swap the two around and take the pic again.