Old School and guess the original

earthvspace4XTuUWcX
earthvspace4XTuUWcX Posts: 322
edited June 2014 in Your road bikes
Thought some of you would like to see this.
This was originally a popular Touring bike, 531 frame and forks, 27¨ wheels and cantilever brakes. I was with my Dad when he bought it in an LBS approx 35 years ago.
He rode it for many years and miles, at some point he modified the top tube to run the rear brake cable internally, and also had it powder coated white (it was originally gold).
My Dad passed away about 5 years ago, and I found the bike in a very sorry state hung up in his garage. Decided I had to keep it and, with the long rear drop outs, thought it would make and ideal single speed bike for knocking around on.
I cut off the rear hanger and cantilever bosses, got rid of the rust and flaking powder coat, bought some rattle cans of black paint from Halfords, and fixed it up with mostly spare parts I had lying around, including the carbon forks, allowing me to use short drop brakes, and I made a bracket for the rear, again to use short drop brakes. As it was originally for 27"wheels I would have otherwise had to use rather ugly extra long calipers.
Anyone like to guess what the original was? :wink:
DSCF0870_zpsf5ac7cff.jpg
DSCF0871_zpsd7e8b948.jpg
DSCF0868_zps45c2d1a9.jpg
DSCF0867_zps0ae82fa5.jpg
DSCF0864_zps60174a42.jpg

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    No idea what it is (could be anything), but that bodged back brake mount looks like an accident waiting to happen...
  • bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    Back brake looks fine to me, quite neatly done

Raliegh Randonneur ?
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • by madasahattersley » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:09 pm

Galaxy?

Congratulations, yes originally a Dawes Galaxy
  • by Imposter » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:08 pm

No idea what it is (could be anything), but that bodged back brake mount looks like an accident waiting to happen...

I can assure you my rear brake is perfectly safe, if I had a CNC machine in my garage I could have perhaps have made a better bodge of it :wink:
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    It's not the standard of finish I'm referring to - it's the engineering solution. But, it's not my neck...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Imposter wrote:
    It's not the standard of finish I'm referring to - it's the engineering solution. But, it's not my neck...

Back brake is fine - no problem at all with that.

Cool ride as well - nice story, provenance and work.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Superb conversion! The rear brake looks like a neat, robust solution. Is it a solid piece of CNC'd aluminium? Nice story. . .one of my winter bikes is an old 531 lightweight tourer frame I've had since new (1987).

I bet it feels good to ride it. My old man died a while back and I get a nice feeling when I use the hand tools I inherited from him - he was a cabinet maker, as I am. He was also a cyclist and I just regret that he sold the old "Hobbs of Barbican" 531 fixie that is now a classic and would've been in my current collection!
  • Great restoration. Well done.