Front Mech - Green Plastic thing?

r3hxn
r3hxn Posts: 127
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, a quick question, I bought a front mech ( deore M591) from eBay, and looked up the manual for it. (

This is probably a really silly question...but....
The little green plastic thing thats in the middle, as seen in the picture below. Does this serve any purpose? or is it just there for the packaging of it. I can't see it mentioned anywhere in a very basic tech doc.

shimano-deore-fd-m591-mtb-front-derailleur-down-swing-349-mm-3x9v.jpg

\thanks

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
Scott Scale - Custom mtb - Work in progress

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Its just packaging.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • bailsofhay
    bailsofhay Posts: 191
    That clip just holds the derailleur in an extended position to line it up with the chainrings during installation and is removed during setup.
  • r3hxn
    Ah ha! Got it, thanks both

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    r3hxn wrote:
    If you read the instructions you would know exactly what it is and what it is for.

It ain't packageing.

It is the set up guide. Some thought it would be a good idea to design something recently to do this.

Shame they are about 20 years late.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • r3hxn
    nicklouse wrote:
    r3hxn wrote:
    If you read the instructions you would know exactly what it is and what it is for.

It ain't packageing.

It is the set up guide. Some thought it would be a good idea to design something recently to do this.

Shame they are about 20 years late.

thanks, I did infact read the instructions first before posting but saw no mention of it.

But after some understanding of what it was, I went back to the doc and I can now see theres a very brief mention of what they call the "pro set alignment block". Not that it makes it clear what exactly this is.

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid