Jonny Bellis

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
edited July 2014 in Pro race
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Good grief, I hadn't realised things had been that appallingly serious. Amazing spirit coming back from that. Really rather moving.
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    I knew it had been bad, but didn't realise it was that hideous. Great spirit, inspirational stuff
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    other info here (all be a little dated now):

viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12957409
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,741
    Yes he was one of the bright prospects of his generation.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    He's riding the Tour of Korea which starts on Monday. If he can finish a pretty bumpy 8 stage race it would be a monumental step forward. If he even does a few stages I image it would be a success.
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    Turfle wrote:
    He's riding the Tour of Korea which starts on Monday. If he can finish a pretty bumpy 8 stage race it would be a monumental step forward. If he even does a few stages I image it would be a success.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be happening for him. In the big scheme of things this is a weak 2.1
    OTL on stage 1

Good win for Rich Handley in stage 2 though
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,532
    It's an inspirational story, it just needs that Hollywood ending now. He's still a youngster so hopefully he can still make it back to competing at the top level. He's certainly got the mental strength to do it if his body will let him.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    That is a shame. It has to get more disheartening each time it happens.

It does look a terrific win from Handley though. Do you have any thoughts on Hugh Carthy? Other than seeing his name over the years, I don't know much about him.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    lyn1 wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be happening for him. In the big scheme of things this is a weak 2.1
    OTL on stage 1

Good win for Rich Handley in stage 2 though

Was following the rather good @TourdeKoreaEN updates blow by blow this morning. A break that stayed away - great result for Handley, especially given what he did for Mike Cuming at this race last year.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    @TourdeKoreaEN 's twitter feed is a lesson to other races in how to do it. Excellent and calls the race well, making it exciting. Great result for Handley, he was virtually alone in helping Cuming to win last year. They are a couple of good racers - it would be nice to see them getting stagiare opportunities later on in the year...
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    unfortunately not much to shout about for Jonny in terms of results this year. He finished a race in Bulgaria (I think) but I can't see much else in the way of finishes.

It doesn't help that th christina Watches web-site is so poor when it comes to logging the teams results!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • lyn1
    unfortunately not much to shout about for Jonny in terms of results this year. He finished a race in Bulgaria (I think) but I can't see much else in the way of finishes.

It doesn't help that th christina Watches web-site is so poor when it comes to logging the teams results!

Probably better to check out procyclingstats which is usually on the ball

http://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/13 ... han-Bellis
  • lyn1
    mroli wrote:
    @TourdeKoreaEN 's twitter feed is a lesson to other races in how to do it. Excellent and calls the race well, making it exciting. Great result for Handley, he was virtually alone in helping Cuming to win last year. They are a couple of good racers - it would be nice to see them getting stagiare opportunities later on in the year...

It would certainly be good to see more riders moving on, but the problem for British riders trying to step up a level from Conti is that there isn’t a Pro Conti team in Britain, let alone one that fills virtually the whole squad with home riders, as for eg, Nerri Sottoli, CCP Polsat, Team Columbia, Rusvelo, and Cofidis do.

In addition there is a lot of competition among current Conti riders. While any tour that has the name of a country attached to it sounds impressive, Korea, as an example, while a 2.I only has 2 PC teams (and not strong European ones at that) and no WT. It’s essentially a race of Conti teams and similar to many European 2.2, so low level UCI. There are probably several hundred opportunities a season for guys to podium in this level of race where the competition is largely Conti teams. If that becomes the qualification to step up, even just one level, then all the PC teams would need 50 places each to cater for everyone.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Oh yeah - I know that - but you can only win the races that are put in front of you can't you? They've got to win this, other Asian tour races (such as Japan) and ride strongly at TOB. British cyclists haven't got the pool of teams to get a "go" at which is a shame. Be nice for a genuine British pro-conti team to emerge, or a lot of talent is going to fall by the wayside...
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    Planet-x have posted a few pics of Jonny's bike for the Commonwealth Games (he's riding track for the Isle of Man) :
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/news/planet-x- ... or-glasgow

com-04.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Amazing story.

I was in a huge crash about a month ago. I broke bones, lost teeth and about 2 weeks of memory. I woke up in the hospital and that's all I remember. I tried to ride my bike the other day and couldn't. I couldn't even get to the end of my road. It mentally terrified me. To hear that he is back on his bike after something much worse gives me great confidence that I will one day get on the bike.
  • gattocattivo
    gattocattivo Posts: 500
    all the best
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,741
    Sjmclean, I'm sure you will, I was in a big one last year, it took me a good couple of months to be able to ride, in my case trying to ride felt like I was drunk. Still suffer some side affects but luckily they don't seem to impact on riding - though perhaps I can blame my form this year on them. All the best with getting back on the bike.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    sjmclean wrote:
    Amazing story.

I was in a huge crash about a month ago. I broke bones, lost teeth and about 2 weeks of memory. I woke up in the hospital and that's all I remember. I tried to ride my bike the other day and couldn't. I couldn't even get to the end of my road. It mentally terrified me. To hear that he is back on his bike after something much worse gives me great confidence that I will one day get on the bike.

Hate to get all fluffy, but best of luck with getting back into it - every little bit is a step forward. After decking it like that I reckon you're entitled to take it slowly, so please don't beat yourself up (not least as it seems the chute has given you enough of a beating as it is).